Starting to panic

lisasmh
on 8/5/08 8:23 pm - Hanover, PA
Hi everyone.
I am seriously starting to panic.  I have surgery tomorrow and I am so scared that I have been thinking of canceling it.  I have been reading these boards for months now and before that researching through the web.  I have done my homework, but now that the time is here, I'm starting to doubt.  I started at 254 and today I am 218, maybe I don't need this surgery???
I have an 11 y/o daughter and I am so scared that I'll have complications and wont be here for her. 
I have been fine through this whole learning process and starting Sunday I started to get edgy and now I'm just panicy.  I know it is normal to get like this, but I feel like a dog chasing it's tail today, just spinning in circles!!!  Thanks for listening, I am to worried to voice this to my husband, so you guys get to listen to it :)
Lisa
Melanie B.
on 8/5/08 8:34 pm - Doylestown, PA
Lisa,

I am having my surgery in less than 3 weeks and I am also wondering when the panic will set in. I'm afraid that I will also want to balk at the last moment, but I just keep telling myself that everything is going to be ok and that this is going to give me a new lease on life.

I will keep you in my thoughts and send "calm" vibes your way. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in and give you some soild advice and assurance.

Good luck.

lisasmh
on 8/5/08 8:44 pm - Hanover, PA
Thanks Melanie.  I had expected panic, but not this much.  I'm going to call a friend and see if she will come over for awhile later.  My daughter and I are going to pack my bag and make jello.  She has been crying on and off the last few days too, so I don't want to make it worse for her.  Thanks for the vibes, I'm feeling better already!
Lisa
Liz R.
on 8/5/08 8:52 pm - Easton, PA
Lisa- I never had the panic - my surgery day was the beginning of a new and WONDERFUL life. The risks with this surgery are less then with practically any other surgery! The benefits far out weigh the risks. Panic is normal though. This is a major surgery and a life changing event. I wouldn't cancel - I think that you would regret it later.

Keep your chin up and we'll save you a nice toasty spot on the loosers bench!

My thoughts and prayers will be with you today and tomorrow!

Liz
lisasmh
on 8/5/08 9:04 pm - Hanover, PA
Thanks Liz,  I know you are right, and I have to keep it together.  I really don't know what I would do without you guys.  Thank you for all of your well wishes! 
Lisa
Patricia R.
on 8/5/08 9:11 pm - Perry, MI
Lisa,
I did not have the panics, so I am not sure what to say except that you are opening the door to a new and wonderful life with this surgery.  My faith in God allowed me to have peace about every aspect of this process.  I am praying for you to experience that peace.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

dit657
on 8/5/08 9:54 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Lisa - I didn't think I was panicked at all, but on the drive to Barix the morning of my surgery I was extremely quiet and jumpy and snapped at my husband because he made a wrong turn - in retrospect I realize that I was very nervous, but also very, very ready for the surgery and my new life to begin.

Any surgery is scary and has its risks, but it sounds like you've done all your homework and are ready to begin your new life. I lost 50 lbs prior to surgery but knew without the surgery the 50 would come back on and bring friends along with it!

Think about how wonderful you're going to feel being able to do so much more with your daughter once you start getting the rest of your weight off, and how much better and how much healthier you are going to be. It is definitely worth it.

Wish you all the best - we'll all be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
rita61677
on 8/5/08 10:52 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi LIsa - My surgery is tomorrow too and Im a tad bit nervous but not panicked at all. Im so excited to get it over with and get home adn start my new life. Mya daughter is 5 and she is so excited. I know she will be upset when im not home but she'll be ok. She is ready for mommy to get healthy so that we can do more thing together. Just try to relax and think about all the positive that will come out of it. Best of luck to you tomorrow.
lisasmh
on 8/5/08 11:46 pm - Hanover, PA
On August 6, 2008 at 5:52 AM Pacific Time, rita61677 wrote:
Hi LIsa - My surgery is tomorrow too and Im a tad bit nervous but not panicked at all. Im so excited to get it over with and get home adn start my new life. Mya daughter is 5 and she is so excited. I know she will be upset when im not home but she'll be ok. She is ready for mommy to get healthy so that we can do more thing together. Just try to relax and think about all the positive that will come out of it. Best of luck to you tomorrow.

Rita,
I will be thinking of you also tomorrow.  I wish you luck and a speedy recovery!!  I'll see you back here in a few days!
Lisa

Laureen S.
on 8/5/08 11:13 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Lisa,

Just want to let you know that you are not the first person to panic as your big date approached and while I never panicked but had a bit of nerves the last day leading up to the surgery, it is perfectly normal to 2nd guess what you are about to undergo and the truth is, if you feel you can do it with just diet and exercise, no one would fault you for backing out at this stage, it is a major life commitment to have your innards surgically altered, however, if you have, like the vast majority of us, lost weight countless times, either gotten close to, or never to goal, gained all that weight back and then some, then I think you have made and informed decision based on your post.  You need to have faith that you've been led down this road for a reason, the reason being long-term healthy living and faith in your surgeon's skills to get you there.  If you have those ingredients as well as the commitment (which it appears by how well you've done pre-op), then I think you will be very happy with your decision!

I wish you the best of health and a surgery free of all complications and a recovery that brings you to the place you ultimately hope to arrive at.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views