Getting enough to eat while working out

Shannon O.
on 8/6/08 2:10 am - Reading, PA
Ok, I thought my stalling issue was something completely different... but after tracking my workouts and what I was eating again online... well... I'm not really coming close to the 1200 calorie mark that the nut wants me to hit even with working out... so I basically have to eat almost 1700 calories which after taking what I burn off from working out to around 1200...

Ok, I am just lost for words that I have to eat that much... I am sick of eating! But I know this is why I'm stalling yet again... I'm not getting in enough calories... so I either eat more or workout less... but both sound stupid... very stupid lol...

So, since they now don't want me to drink protein drinks (last week I was told to drink them... this week they are a no go) and protein bars for the most part are out too... and I have been working hard to get veggies back in to my diet since they aren't the reason that was causing the horrible gas... I just at a loss right now...

The nut yesterday said add an apple and some peanuts... umm that isn't very many calories at all lol... while I know it is calories I need to come up with another 300 roughly to make up what I am burning off at the gym...

So, do you all have any ideas? Esp. if they are cheap ones lol... How do you all balance it all?

dit657
on 8/6/08 3:32 am - Boothwyn, PA
For some people this would be a wonderful thing - for us it does seem kind of silly, doesn't it - EAT MORE? Isn't that what got us into this mess in the first place?? LOL!!  Why did they say no to the protein shakes? I would think they have some good calories or were you getting too much protein? I know they don't want that, either.

I did find these Planters South Beach nuts that are very good - they're basically almonds, cashews and macadamia nuts - but lower in salt and fat, high in protein. And very tasty. But they're not cheap - over $6.00 for a can - but as a snack a can does last a long time. I'm thinking of going someplace like Trader Joe's and making up my own mix from now on. Would have to be cheaper.

How about adding some peanut butter to your apple slices? That's a good combination (if you like peanut butter) - or peanut butter w/bananas? I use the Simply Jiff peanut butter - after comparing it to all the other 'natural' brands it has the lowest sugar, salt and carbs and is pretty tasty - satisfies my sweet cravings.

Any word on the Golds Gym job yet? I hate it when they make you wait so long! Still keeping my fingers crossed for you, but it does make it tough to type!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Shannon O.
on 8/6/08 3:37 am - Reading, PA
This nut said no to the protein shakes because it was causing me to go to high on protein... since I'm only 5'2... I have to really watch not to go over 75g (which is my max they said) my normal is 68g...

I tried adding peanut butter but then my fat and salt levels for the day were too high... and I only used 2 tbls which was the serving size... for some reason with the nuts it pushes me a little over for the salt... but doesn't for the fat lol... I use a peanut butter that is made with splenda... so the carbs are low...

and for the most part right now I don't have to watch my carbs too much right now...

And still no news on the Gold's Gym job... they are killing me!

DebiMcK23
on 8/6/08 3:37 am - Aston, PA
Hey Shannon,

I just got the same talk from the man who did my body fat analysis.  He said eating 5/6 meals a day is great, but that I have to make sure the "snacks" are more than 150 calories, or they aren't going to "count" towards being my blood sugar up, etc. 

So instead of a single cheese stick, I will have a cheese stick and a lite and fit yogart. 
Or instead of an apple, I have an apple with peanut butter.
Or an apple and a hand full of almonds or walnuts. (ok, so I do actually count out the number of walnuts or almonds,  I have 15 at a time, which equals about 100 calories)
Carrot sticks with lite ranch dressing is also a staple for me.  hell, sometimes I even eat the full fat ranch dressing, if I know I am going to have a great work out at the gym that night.

They tease me at work that I am on a nuts and berries diet, but it is working for me and the natural sugar from the fruit helps with the head cravings for sugary snacks.

I like to think of the food I put into my mouth as fuel.  Our bodies are more efficient than skinny peoples bodys.  We do tend to store calories as fat.  BUT if we don't put enough fuel in our bodies, we are going to break down.  Even a hybrid car can't do a cross country drive on 1 tank of gas. 

If we are going to be moving our bodies more, we have to eat more...  otherwise the body will say, hey, I am starving here.  There are no nuts and berries to gather, and the men haven't brought home a buffalo in weeks.  I am going to shut down as much as I can, until we can find more food...

303/197/153

Shannon O.
on 8/6/08 3:40 am - Reading, PA
I know you tend to stall like me... but no one ever said that snacks need to be over a 150 calories... that right there might help me a lot lol...

DebiMcK23
on 8/6/08 6:09 am - Aston, PA
Bob Bair isn't a NUT, he is an exercise guru.  I believe he has his doctorate.  He has a whole bunch of opinions that don't always match with NUTs...  but he really impresses the hell out of me, and I have lost 4 lbs in a week...  which hasn't happened to me since I was 3 months out, so it seems to be working for me.  Of course, in a few weeks, I will have to make some changes, so I don't stall again...

303/197/153

Shannon O.
on 8/6/08 10:06 am - Reading, PA
how did you learn about him?

DebiMcK23
on 8/6/08 11:49 pm - Aston, PA
6 years ago, I did a medically supervised liquid diet.  600 calories a day, no food other then the liquids.  I lost 50 lbs, stalled and gave up.  Started eating again, and gained the 50 lbs in about 1 month, then gained another 20 lbs...

Bob Bair worked at the hospital, and would try to convince all the people starving themselves that the need to exercise.  He didn't agree with the liquid diet program, but he still came in every other week and talked to us about the need to exercise.  I was impressed with him back then, and have gone to see him a few times since...

303/197/153

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views