4 Tests

DianeMarie
on 8/4/08 5:54 pm - Delmont, PA
Smileycons!
Yesterday I had my surgical consult.  She asked me to get 4 tests done.  By the list of tests that they had for this surgery I guess I'm getting off pretty easy. 

I need:

Adenosine Stress Test (Checking for heart damage because of family history and because I was a 3 pack a day smoker for 20 years before I quit 6 years ago.

Upper GI (Not looking forward to this one because I've had it before and know what to expect.  That drink is NASTY!!!!

Chest X-Ray

EKG

I've never had a stress test before so I really don't know what's involved.  I walk 2 plus miles a day so I think I can handle this.  My hubby tried to make it sound like its gonna wipe me out LOL.  Isnt he sweet?

Any input on these tests would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Patricia R.
on 8/4/08 7:35 pm - Perry, MI
I have had two stress tests and hated both of them.  During the stress test, the treadmill speed is increased by the doctor doing the test, as well as the incline.  It goes much faster than I am comfortable walking in a treadmill, so I hated it.  I can walk quickly, on solid ground that is flat.  Okay, enough whining.

For the Upper GI, I am surprised that they are not asking for the upper GI endoscopy.  No drink is involved, just anasthesia, and a quick nap.  The doc sticks the tube down your esophagus and takes pictures from inside.  I have had plenty of them, and they are a piece of cake, sugar free of course.

I already had my endoscopy done, as well as my stress test, prior to my consult, so it was just a matter of having my records sent to my surgeon.  That left the chest X-ray.  I think the EKG had already been done by the cardiologist as well, with the stress test.  Because I have a clotting disorder, and my sister had already had clots, I had to have a letter from my blood doctor, Dracula herself, stating instructions for being administered an anticoagulant to prevent me from developing clots post-op.  That required me having to learn to inject myself when I was discharged.  I now have to have them whenever I travel, as I am doing this weekend. 

Do you have to have a sleep study, or did you get that done already?  That was the worst part for me.  I called it my lack of sleep study, because I barely slept, not unlike tonight.

Have a good day at work today.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

DianeMarie
on 8/5/08 11:28 am - Delmont, PA

Hi Trish,

The only test I need are the ones I listed.  There is no sleep study for me because I dont snore or have trouble with breathing while I sleep.

I've had an endoscopy before.

The only one I havent done from the ones they listed for me was the stress test.

Thanks for the info.

Diane

Laureen S.
on 8/4/08 11:20 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Diane,

The stress test is not really all that bad, not sure about the one she is recommending, I've had two different types, the traditional treadmill test and then there is a new one where they simulate stress to the heart, via drugs, that one I did not like too much, rather do the treadmill one and since you've been walking and quit smoking over 6 years ago, you should do just fine, they are doing this more as a matter of being sure what shape your organs and stomach are in than anything else.  Good luck, you're on your way to that date with the Loser's Bench!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

DianeMarie
on 8/5/08 11:31 am - Delmont, PA
Yikes.. I really dont like the idea of them using drugs to simulate stress.  My luck something bad would happen LOL. That really sounds dangerous to me.  Just the idea of them doing that causes me stress! LOL

Oh well.. thanks for the info and I CAN'T wait to be on the losers bench.  Sometimes it seems like its getting so close and other times it seems like a forever away.

Diane

DianeMarie
on 8/5/08 11:33 am - Delmont, PA

What is a nuclear adenosine stress test?

A nuclear imaging adenosine stress test is a diagnostic test used to evaluate blood flow to the heart. During the test, a small amount of radioactive tracer is injected into a vein. A special camera, called a gamma camera, detects the radiation released by the tracer to produce computer images of the heart.

Combined with a medication called adenosine (Adenoscan), the test can help determine if there is adequate blood flow to the heart during activity versus at rest. Adenosine does not increase your heart rate. Adenosine dilates blood vessels leading into the heart, increasing blood flow, therefore simulating exercise for patients unable to exercise on a treadmill.

Pam Hart
on 8/5/08 12:33 am - Easton, PA
If I'm not mistaken, the adenosine stress test may be just the medication one - but I'm not sure about that.  Stress tests are not my "forte" if you will - although both descriptions are awesome from Trish and Laureen.

Good luck with everything - I'm sure you will do fine.  And the upper gi - it might be the endoscopy one so they can look around and see inside to see if you have ulcers or anything.

Let us know!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
DianeMarie
on 8/5/08 11:35 am - Delmont, PA
Smileycons!I am going to start making calls tomorrow to schedule the appointments.  Hopefully I will learn more as I make them.

I will let you know what  I find out.

Diane

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views