Got My Date & Approvals - Whoo Hoo!!

abrenner
on 8/4/08 2:27 am - Willow Grove, PA
Hi everyone,

Well, this is it.  My last day of work is the 12th, and then I have my lap band surgery on 8/13!  I am surprised at how excited I am about all this, considering it is surgery.

Questions:  How did you all do on the liquid diet for the five days before surgery (or for however many days you had to be on it)?  Did you get hungry?

Any tips or tricks for the first couple of days?  I've had numerous abdominal surgeries (mostly gynecologically related), so that part isn't new to me and I have my tips and tricks for that well in hand. 

How long did it take you to feel ok enough to go out after your surgery?  If you went back to work at two weeks, did you feel ready?

Oh, and does EVERYONE lose hair after this surgery?  Does it come back?  I've had some hair loss with other surgeries, but very limited and not permanent.  Is this something I should know about?  Is taking sufficient protein a/the solution?  What about your nails and teeth?   Did anyone have issues with either after their surgeries?

Thanks everyone for advising me.  I'm ready for this (I even made my own pureed foods in preparation for my stage 3 eating - just like when my daughter was a baby, but with some slightly more grown up flavorings).

Amy
dit657
on 8/4/08 2:44 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on getting your surgery date, Amy - that's wonderful news!!

I had RNY so I'm not all that familar with lapband. I did have to go on a 10 day clear lquid diet prior to my surgery - the first couple of days were hard, but then it got easier, and I lost 17 lbs during that time. One thing someone recommended that I followed was to buy good lo-sodium soups and drain the noodles and eat the broth - it had much more flavor than just plain broth, and maybe your little girl would enjoy the noodles.

Walking after surgery is key to relieve the gas, which is what would probably cause you the most pain, so make sure you get up often and take walks - I'm sure your surgeon will insist on that.

I came back to work after one week, which in hindsight was too soon - I had to leave early every day because I was exhausted, and it took me a long time to really get my strength back after surgery, even tho mine was done lapriscopically, so I would definitely recommend 2 weeks at home - longer if you feel you really need it.

At 3 months my hair really started coming out - I'm almost 6 months now and its slowed down and I actually have new growth coming in, but I think we're all different. And people might be being nice but everyone says I'm the only one *****ally notices it. Not sure about that, but I'm not bald by any means. Remember to take your vitamins and get your proteins in - those are key in maintaining your health and your hair!

My nails and teeth are fine - didn't affect either one of those things.

Wish you all the best! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
abrenner
on 8/4/08 3:08 am - Willow Grove, PA
Thanks Kathy!  I'll be sure to take your suggestions.

Amy
Nicole0216
on 8/4/08 4:18 am - Lancaster, PA
Congrats and good luck!!!
abrenner
on 8/4/08 4:21 am - Willow Grove, PA
Thanks Nicole.

I'm very excited and nervous.  I think I'm ready mentally for this.  I really do! 
Laureen S.
on 8/4/08 11:43 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Amy,

Having had RNY, not sure what your aftercare would consist of, I'm sure one of the lapbanders will come along and offer up suggestions, you might try the lapbander forum here on OH.  As for hair loss, anytime I've had surgery I've lost hair, but with this, because of deficiency issues I think it goes on longer and I know I have lost a lot of my hair, however, the hair does start to grow back somewhere between a year and 18 months.  Just be sure to take whatever vitamins and eat according to your doctor's/nuts suggestions.

Good luck to you and we'll be welcoming you to the Loser's Bench soon.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

abrenner
on 8/4/08 11:50 pm - Willow Grove, PA
Thanks!!

It seems the common thread is to take the vitamins & protein, which are no brainers for me.  My sister in IL had a bypass last Christmas and doesn't take enough protein, and she's lost much more hair (I didn't have the heart to tell her why when I saw her recently).  But that's what I thought.

Thanks to you and everyone for your help.

Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views