Books on WLS

evrblue
on 8/2/08 6:12 am - McConnellsburg, PA
Hi everyone,

Quick Question...what, if any, books on WLS do you recommend?

I have ordered WLS for Dummies, and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein Recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery by Patt Levine.

Any other suggestions? I have 6-7 mos before a surgery date so I can do lots of reading. I chose RNY for my surgery.

Thanks in advance,
Jen M

jesikalee
on 8/2/08 9:20 am - PA
I read both books by Carnie Wilson and enjoyed them both.  I also read The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery and it was not only informational but funny too!!!

Jessica

Jessica

Pam Hart
on 8/2/08 10:19 am - Easton, PA
I LOVED "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery" as said by the other poster.  The two women (both post surgical) have a great sense of humor and it's written by them and multiple of their doctors.

I also read most of WLS for dummies - it was pretty decent.

If you can find it - there's a book and I'm not sure if I'm getting the title exactly right - but it's something like "The Emotional First Aid Kit" with a subtitle of something about weight loss surgery - I don't have the book in my possession anymore so I can't look at the exact title.  It deals with the psychological issue of being over weight and the choice of surgery and had some chapters in it for family members (or the whole book for them would be ok, too, actually) if needed.  made you really think about everything.

Happy Reading!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shan08
on 8/2/08 11:11 am - the Skook, PA

In my pre-op program at Geisinger ( a center of excellence), we were given "Weight Loss Surgery: Finding the thin person hiding inside of you" by Barbara Thompson.  It is written by a WLS vet.  And it is written in down-to-earth language with technical and professional references backing up the info.

Good Luck :)

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
evrblue
on 8/3/08 11:56 am - McConnellsburg, PA

Thanks Everyone! I will look into each book suggested. I really appreciate the info!
dit657
on 8/4/08 2:53 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Jen - my brother's girlfriend gave me one called 'The Doctor's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery - How to Make the Decision that Could Save Your Life' - its written by Louis Flanchbaum, MD and a couple of other people. Its an older book - 2001 publish date - but I found it very informative becaue it talks to you about all the different weight loss surgerys, how it works, what type of operation is right for you, how to pick a surgeon and what to do and expect following surgery. You could probably find it on Amazon or something - mine is a paperback.

Good luck! and good reading!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views