It's been a year

Dennis Belk
on 7/31/08 1:59 am, edited 7/31/08 6:05 am - Philadelphia, PA
Many of you know I'm a freak for dates, birthdays, surgiversaries and all. I'm a fan of the positive and will always try to see the plus in a thing, in a person, in an event, even in a seemingly diffucult happening. I had a dfficult happening more than a year ago. It put me in the hospital and lead me back to Barix where a year ago today I had one, but eventually two surgeries six days apart. The first turned out to be for an internal hernia that gave me stomach pain whenever I ate, the second was needed to correct a bowel obstruction caused by scarring tissue and adhesions. This time was my biggest WLS challenge to date. The overall situation was not a good one and quite frankly it's common for these conditions to lead to complications that can end a life. Recovering from the second surgery was physically and emotionally taxing. It took every positive thought I had and took it away. Throughout this whole experience I had my WLS family right by my side. Shauna and Cheryl headed up a group of sooooo many of my forever friends. I really needed them at critical times. They actually held a few support group meetings in my room at Barix as I recovered. Along with the Barix staff these friends of mine were a huge part of what I needed to survive and make it back. I learned to lean on them all, a lesson to never be forgotten. I eventually made my way through and I recovered well. Today I am fine, I am strong but I can still go back to last summer, in the blink of an eye. Yes it seems to be a less than positive experience but it's one I don't want to forget. I can't forget, I shouldn't forget. It brought soooo many of my friends that much closer to me and me to them. I made it with them and I'll always need them. I'll never be lost to them. I couldn't get lost if I tried. They'd hunt me down and find me. That's what Shauna did a year ago. I'm forever grateful. And I live on to do what I can. So do the best you can today and always but also know that you're never alone.

Dennis     
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/08 2:06 am
Dennis

I am glad that  you are here to share you story with a postive spin and happy ending! One thing we don't know when we start this journey that if we opt to reach out for the support on hand we will discover not only a wealth of information but whole new supportive family  that understands what we are going through not only in good times and bad times. What a wonderful bonus gift that is along this WLS journey!

Melanie B.
on 7/31/08 3:13 am - Doylestown, PA
Well i for one am glad you are still here Dennis and hope that that was your last surgical hurdle you have to face. you are a great power of example.

Heather T.
on 7/31/08 3:35 am - Bucks County, PA
Has it been a year already?!?!?!?
Dennis, I am so glad that you made it through the challenges last year....you are a true life example of the saying "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"....Here it is a year later and you are the strong Papa Belk that we all know and love!
I remember being in your hospital room last year...the love and positive energy was absolutely OVERWHELMING!  Coupled with your strength and determination, it is no surprise that you have made the great recovery that you have!
Congrats!
Love,
HT

I'm a classic overachiever, I'm a mom of twins!!

Nicole0216
on 7/31/08 3:41 am - Lancaster, PA
I am confident that if I ever needed you all you would hunt me down too, that is the miracle of this board and the people on it.
I cant believe it has been a year seems like yesterday. I am glad that it is in your rearview and that you are doing so well now.
Love ya
Nicole
lauraanne715
on 7/31/08 3:48 am - Pottstown, PA

Dennis-

As always you are such an inspiration and a positive force for us on this board.  I am glad you are doing so well now and continue to see the positive that came out of your experience.  May this year be filled with love, laughter, and much joy!

Much luv!!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

bubble273
on 7/31/08 4:45 am - Levittown, PA
Dennis,

I'm so glad that everything went well with you last year.  I couldn't imagine if something had happened to you.  You are our strength and inspiration when we need it.  And I'm forever grateful for knowing you and being able to be with you every month for support.  You keep us on track and always keeping us thinking.  I'm so glad my journey led me to Barix and led me to you.  So glad you're okay now.  Take good care.

Karen

New_Beginnings_36
on 7/31/08 4:58 am - PA
Dennis - I'm glad you are here and well :) Thank you for always sharing, teaching, inspiring and just making us think. You are an amazing person and I am so glad to have met you. Wishing you nothing but the best for the future :)

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
Shannon O.
on 7/31/08 5:09 am - Reading, PA
all i know is you are da man! You make me laugh and smile all the time by your words... I love how you see the positive in so many things that at times I just can't see it until you post...

I am so glad that you are here... keep up the great work!

Liz R.
on 7/31/08 6:01 am - Easton, PA
Dennis is the man! You are an inspiration to all and it is a comfort knowing that someone will track us down if we don't show our faces for a while!

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views