laproscopic surgery at Geisinger

mystic_dragonfly
on 7/30/08 7:19 am - Lock Haven, PA
Hi, I was wondering if anyone  has had the laproscopic ( sorry if i spelled it wrong) surgery done at Geisinger. If so did you have any problems afterwards. I am asking because my sister had it done and she had a terrible time and is now on a feeding tube 20 hours a day. I had the open surgery at the same hospital just a different surgreon and I am doing fine. I feel terrible for her and was just wondering if there is anyone else out there with the same problem as her. I am withholding her surgeons name for now.

mystic_dragonfly     Dr. Udekwu, Dr Moya and Jen Gallo is the best!!!!!!!

Shan08
on 7/30/08 7:42 am, edited 7/30/08 7:43 am - the Skook, PA
   I will be having the open procedure in less than 2 weeks at Geis...  I'd appreciate it if you share more specifics with me, like names?!  Thank you!  I'm so sorry about your sister, btw.  Does it seem like she may improve?

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
mystic_dragonfly
on 7/30/08 7:47 am - Lock Haven, PA
I am not sure. She is now going to Hershey Medical Center. We are hoping she will improve and no longer need the feeding tube. I had the open surgery 9/8/07 at Geisinger. I had a wonderful surgeon. His name is Dr. Udekwu. I can't say enough about him. He is so professional and very good at what he does. I am so glad I chose him. I have not had any problems at all. He even gave me his home phone number after my surgery in case I needed anything. Who is going to be your surgeon? I had a friend that had Dr. Strodel and she really liked him and she had no probelms either.

Shan08
on 7/30/08 7:53 am - the Skook, PA
I will have Dr. Strodel.  I met with him and I got good vibes from him...
Ughh... but of course as time draws near, I'm freaking about everything... not to mention this liquid diet has me quite b*tchy.  lol

Hmm, so that leaves Dr. P for your sister huh?  Ughhh   Agan, i'm So sorry.  But hopefully she'll pull through and feel much better down the road.  I'll say a prayer.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
mystic_dragonfly
on 7/30/08 8:06 am - Lock Haven, PA
well thank you. We are all praying for her. Good luck with your surgery.  I know all about the darn liquid diet. I was doing mine and then they told me they might have to post pone my surgery and I was never happy, but luckily I was able to have it when I was supposed to.I have an appointemnt on Monday at 2:40 with Joanne Rogers. ( love her, she is another wonderful person there) and then I am going to attend the support group at 3:00.  I'm located in Lock Haven are you near there?

tanya72100
on 7/30/08 11:41 pm - Schuylkill Haven, PA
Im having Lap surgery on the 29th of August. Dr Pertrick is the surgeon and I was wondering what other medical problems your sister may have had? How morbidly obese was she? Did she follow all the requirements ??
mystic_dragonfly
on 7/30/08 11:49 pm - Lock Haven, PA
My sister was only about 267 and is about 5'7" tall. She was a diabetic. Other than that she did not have alot of medical problems. She followed everythig to a T. She exercised before surgery to lose the presurgery weight, followed the diet she was given. Her probelms started the night she had surgery. She got a fever and infection, among other things. She has had quite a few surgical procedures after the inital one to try and fix the problem and is still having problems. She has since switched to another hospital. She knows several other people that had her surgeron that also had complications. We don't know if she will ever e off of the feeding tube. We are talking about someone that used to be able to work 60 to 70 hours a week and still be able to keep up with her daughters. Now she is lucky to work 12 hours a week and sleep all weekend because of no energy and being sick all the time.

tanya72100
on 7/31/08 12:12 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
Hmm. Well i hope she gets better. I know that Geisinger and Dr. Petrick are a center of excellence. I know that not every case is the same. Maybe talking to Joann or someone else on the team there could be helpful. I would surely think that if there was a serious problem with the dr ability to perform surgery he would not be performing surgeries on a daily basis.

Was Dr. Petrick her surgreon??
mystic_dragonfly
on 7/31/08 12:19 am - Lock Haven, PA
 My sister is done dealing with Geisinger. I like Joanne she is a wonderful person. I had surgery at Geisinger 9/8/07 and I had no problem. I had Dr. Udekwu and  he is wonderful. I wouldn't trade him for the world. Good Luck with your surgery....

tanya72100
on 7/31/08 12:24 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
Well thats great, but I guess I can ask one more time. Was Dr Petrick her surgeon???

IS there any reason why you cant answer this question?? Seems weird
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views