30 days!!!

tanya72100
on 7/28/08 11:43 pm - Schuylkill Haven, PA
 I have only 30 days from today till the new birthday!! Im super excited, scared and worried all at the same time.

Im doing trial runs of the liquid diet to kinda get myself ready for all the changes. Anyone else having there surgery in Aug? Im alittle scared about the kids being worried about me and just being able to still be mom when i first come home. They are 3.5 and 8. I think my 8 yr old will be a great help.

Ok.. Well im excited. lol
dit657
on 7/29/08 1:36 am - Boothwyn, PA
Your emotions are so normal now so don't be concerned about that - we all run thru them and sometimes all in one day!! But you know you did your homework, and thought this all out and came to the decision to change your life for the better, so be comfortable in that. But your emotions are going to drive you crazy up until you're in that hospital!

You are a brave soul for giving the liquid diet a trial run - do you have to go on one before the surgery or is this preparation for afterwards? If its for after your surgery you might be wasting your time because your tastes are going to change so much immediately after surgery - things I loved pre-surgery totally gagged me post-op, and it happens with most of us. So be careful what you stock up on - you may end up hating it! I had to do a 10 day clear liquid diet pre-op and then 2 weeks clears post-op - if I never see another sugar free jello cup it'll be too soon - LOL!!

Your kids will be great - jus****ch the little one for wanting to be in mommy's lap - and definitely no lifting! But your surgeons and nurses will tell you all that

Congratulations on your big day!! I'll be in Seattle visiting my daughter and my beautiful granddaughters but I'll try to check the boards - make sure somebody posts for you and lets us know how you're doing.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
tanya72100
on 7/29/08 3:37 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
Thanks they recomend that you go  on the liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery. I am trying all the liquids on the list. I have no really stocked up on much. I got alittle bit of everything. Worse thing is i wont like or be able to handle it and the kids will get some sf jello and pudding. lol. Ive bough a few Slimfast high protein, some isopure drinks and just enough for the first few days after the hossy.

Im so excited. I almost cant sleep some nights. I just wish there were more people in my area going thru the same thing.
dit657
on 7/29/08 3:59 am - Boothwyn, PA
The first couple of days of the liquid diet are the hardest - by day 3 you want to chew your fingers off, but after that it gets a lot easier and you will drop quite a bit of weight doing it - I lost 17 lbs in 10 days! One tip somebody gave me (can't remember who) was to buy good lo-sodium soup and drain the noodles or other stuff off and have that broth - it has so much more flavor than just plain old broth, and chances are your kids will love having the noodles.

You do seem sort of remote - hopefully you'll be able to find a local support group because they are so key in maintaining your sanity and helping you through all this - friends and family can try to be understanding and all, but unless they've gone through this they really have no clue. So good luck in finding a group - or maybe starting one!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Shan08
on 7/29/08 6:02 am - the Skook, PA
I started mine yesterday...
Ugh.  I feel hungry, mentally & physically. 
But I plan on trying my best to stick to it. 
Oh & I I have an 8 yr old too... along with 5 yr old b/g twins.
And ya know, worst case scenario, maybe in the future we could take turns taking the long drive to the hosp. meetings.  They also have them in Shamokin, I think, which really isn't too close either, lol.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
tanya72100
on 7/29/08 6:08 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
Yea.. I go back on the 5th. of  August. Maybe I will have to come visit you while your in the hossy. Then I will know what im facing.
Patricia R.
on 7/29/08 9:54 am - Perry, MI

First, let me tell you that you are totally normal to be excited.  It is like getting ready to go on an adventure. 

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have a spot on your sofa or chair that you and your 3 year old can sit next to each other and snuggle in.  I had hernia surgery in December and my 6 month old granddaugter came for Christmas.  I sat on the couch with her next to me a lot, so she was not on my lap pressing against my abdomen.  Make sure you have books for that occassion, or DVDs to watch together for some "Mommy and Me" time.  Keep a basket near the couch for the books and toys you and the kidlet will play with together.

My second suggestion is if you make homemade soups, make a batch now, and drain the liquid and freeze it for after your surgery.  You can freeze the solid stuff to be pureed later for the puree phase too.  I did that and was much happier with my homemade broth.  I did puree some stuff ahead of time, and put it in ice cube trays and then popped them out and put them in Ziplock freezer bags for post-op.

Hang in there.  You are in for the ride of your life.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lizziebug
on 7/30/08 3:57 am - Bristol, PA
I'm having mine next monday 8/4! I'm feeling pretty much the same way you are. I dont have any kids but my Hubby is really worried. But we will do just fine!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views