Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Muffins

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/27/08 12:17 am

Daily Dish

Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups

It's often said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That's because skipping your morning meal can lead to a dip in blood sugar that may cause cravings for unhealthy, refined foods. This cycle can lead to overeating and, thus, may impede your weight-loss efforts. Instead, start your day with this nutritious, mouthwatering meal. Not only will it keep you satisfied and stabilize your blood sugar, research shows that a morning meal can improve energy as well as work and school performance. This tasty recipe will be sure to get you going in the morning.

Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups (Phase 1)

Description
These egg "muffins" make a hearty breakfast that can be eaten on the run. Make them ahead and warm them in the microwave for a fast and slimming breakfast treat.

Makes 6 cups

Ingredients
4 ounces turkey sausage or crumbled turkey bacon (Brown 'n Serve is L/F with decent protein)
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
5 large eggs (Egg Beaters are a good substitute to cut down on the fat)
1 can (12 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese (So many L/F varieties to choose from)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.

In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, pepper, and onion for 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink. Spoon the mixture into a bowl and cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and mushrooms. Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is set.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

rita61677
on 7/27/08 1:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
that sounds really GOOD!!!!!!!!!
dawgpound215
on 7/27/08 3:20 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
This sounds like a perfect pre made and frozen perhaps meal to pull out in a pinch or for use during the work week . could be prepped over the weekend ......question: what is the consistency like baked? like a frittata?......i wonder what this might taste like with perhaps some leftover potatoe of some sort for a more filling meal......nan have u tweaked this at all ? what works or doesnt??   -Patrick
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/27/08 3:46 am

I just read the recipe this morning, I haven't tried it yet.  I plan on trying it tomorrow when I get home.  I spend weekends with my Mom and she doesn't have the ingredients here.  I plan on trying it with ground up chicken sausage I have in my freezer that is low fat.  Maybe even MorningStar or Boca Sausage for more protein.  I'm not looking to put potato into it, too many carbs for me.  I do plan on using low fat cheese and egg beaters. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

dawgpound215
on 7/27/08 3:59 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
hey nan.....gotcha that u havent tried it out yet......i like your ideas too.......bout the potatoes i was thinking a small amount would add texture and make it well rounded, protein/veg/carb....just brainstorming........
oobiebus
on 7/27/08 5:07 am - pottstown, PA
Thanks Nan! That sounds very good and Yummy,Hugs trish

My Angel is  Jeanne2036  

I Am Officially At Goal!Yippeeeeee

evrblue
on 7/27/08 6:38 am - McConnellsburg, PA
Thanks Nan! Great recipe, can't wait to try it. Right now Pre-op I am guilty of skipping breakfast because I am a ''heat and eat" kind of girl. These would be great to make ahead and also much more healthier than anything from the store! Thanks Again!

Nicole0216
on 7/27/08 1:56 pm - Lancaster, PA
I have made these, they are awesome
Patricia R.
on 7/27/08 2:12 pm - Perry, MI

Sounds perfect for my eat on the run lifestyle in the morning. 

Thanks, Nan.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 7/27/08 4:08 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Nan!  I will definately be trying these!  I have found recently that with waiting the hour after my synthorid to eat (and refusing to get up earlier to take it I might add) I need something quick and easy for breakfast as it is just about the time I am leaving for work.

Thanks!

I have off today - so perhaps I will make up a bunch of them!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views