NOT TAKING VITAMINS OR CALCIUM....

dreamgirl119
on 7/25/08 8:26 pm - Lansdowne, PA
I have a friend who is 6 months post-op. When we worked together I constantly reminded her to take her vitamins & calcium.  When I saw her yesterday she relayed to me that she only takes them when she remembers, which is not often.  What are the dangers of not taking the daily recommended dosage of our meds?
Hambear
on 7/25/08 9:11 pm - Millsboro, DE
The dangers are bad. I have actually seen someone with a walker from not taking meds and doing follow ups. Please encourage your friend to take them everyday. I got a log book from Making it a Lifestyle and you check off everyday when you take vitamins, calcium and B 12. This log really helps me with this issue.  See you lighter. Joanne
Ready4 AChange
on 7/25/08 9:44 pm, edited 7/25/08 9:51 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
Here is a copy of a paper my coordinator passed out at a support group. You may want to give this to her to read.
Sandy

Vitamins

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/25/08 10:12 pm
Without the double daily dose of multi vitamins which contain A, a person will go blind.  There have been articles about it in the paper.  These articles blame WLS but after reading the article it clearly states that this situation is considered self inflicted due to not taking daily supplements that are required of all WLS patients.  There are a host of other effects, but this one is the most scary as far as I am concerned.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 7/25/08 11:53 pm - Easton, PA
When you don't get enough calcium, your body begins taking it from your bones making them brittle and easily broken and misshapend.  Lack of b vitamins causes irreversible nerve damage.

The thing about calcium - your blood levels will stay basically normal until the damage is to far gone. The body steals it from the bones and puts it where it's needed (in the blood) so when you go for blood work your calcium level appears fine - but could be quite detrimental.

I bought one of those multi dose daily pill containers and bring it every where with me - that way I always have my meds with me.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
nikkib1216
on 7/26/08 12:28 am
i to forget to take my vitamins.  i only have to take 3 pills my sublingual b 12, my multivitamin (acually i take 4 of these) made especially for wls and iron.  i have one hell of a time remembering them also.  thanks for the push to get back on them. 

Nikki

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views