OFF LIMITS?

Shan08
on 7/24/08 11:45 am - the Skook, PA
Soo, with my date getting closer & closer, I'm wondering about more and more!

Can you guys give me some first hand (not from a book) info?
What pre-op foods have you found to be off limits in your post-op lives?... and why?  A choice, a necessary health reason, etc?

Thank youuu!

Shannon

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Liz R.
on 7/24/08 8:44 pm - Easton, PA
Shannon - while there are going to be things that you can't eat (high fat, high sugar items) there is so much that you CAN!

I have found that I can adapt almost any recipe that I enjoyed pre-op so that I can have it now, even if it is just in moderation.

Now there are things post op that some people don't tolerate (other then the high fat/sugar no no's) sunch as milk, eggs, chicken, other meats etc. These things change with time. It is really a trial and error process with each person.

Hope this helps...

Liz
Lslaven
on 7/24/08 10:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Shannon:
Liz is absolutely right.  You can have most things with the exception of sugar and high fat foods.  So french fries are off limits. 

As for me, I have had trouble with chicken and for a while things that I heat in the microwave.   I am now able to tolerate heating things in the microwave if I cover it with a wet paper towel.  In addition, you can do well with something one time and the next time you eat it get sick.  You learn what to avoid and how to eat.......even if you learn the hard way.

Don't stress about anything.  You will get the knack of things in no time.  If you have any quetions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Linda
dit657
on 7/24/08 10:35 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Shannon - one thing you really need to understand is that once you've had the surgery your tastes can really change. What you loved pre-surgery you might not like at all post-surgery - it just depends. You really have to take things one day at a time - follow the dr's diet and nutrition requirements and go from there. Protein supplements that tasted wonderful pre-surgery might gag you post. And don't stock up on something because it tastes great one day - it might turn your stomach the next. Its all very personal.

As for me post-op, I'm over 5 months out and still cannot tolerate beef (except ground beef), breads, doughy pastas and anything 'tough'. I still have to watch how fast I eat or food gets stuck - some days I feel like I could eat a horse (but can't), and other days I have to force myself to eat. Just make sure you get all your liquids in every day - and vitamins. In the beginning getting all your proteins in will be tough, but gradually you'll build up to your daily requirement. Remember to get those in first.

You'll have lots of questions as you go along - keep asking - there are unlimited resources on these boards and if we can't answer you can always call your dr or nut.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Shan08
on 7/25/08 5:39 am - the Skook, PA
Thanks a bunch.  I'm sure I'll be bugging with more questions soon enough

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views