It's Me....the annoying CPAP chick

Barbara J. H.
on 7/29/08 7:06 am - Martinsburg, WV

HI,   I'm so sorry you are having trouble with this.  It took me awhile to get used to my cpap too. But it is so worth it once you get used to it.  I refuse to sleep or nap without it now.  

The problem you are having with the water in the tubing is being caused by one of two things.  If you are using heated humidification, try turning your temps down.  I was keeping my house cold at night and my heater set at 4.  I found that I would wake up drowning too.  I turned my heater down to 2 and insultated my tubing with a home made cover. (I knitted a cover with yarn and it works perfect! )    The other reason could be that you are filling the tank above the fill line.  

What type of nasal pillow mask are you using?  I swear by the Breeze mask.  I've gone through more masks then a normal person and this is the ONLY mask I can use.  Try different size pillows each night until you find the ones that feel the best.   You might also want to try turning the pillows in the mask to get them to fit just right.   Not everyone's nostrils are shaped the same and you might have to use one size med and one size small or large.  They don't have to match,LOL       Please don't give up.  You can do this!

Barbara

Banded 3/30/06 -VG band currently @ 5.5 ccs
Colby Matthew  8-7-07 Born 5 weeks early @ 3:27 pm. 5 lbs 10 oz  19 1/2 in.            CIMG3503.jpg image by TealHearts70 Colby @ 4 mo. 

Melanie B.
on 7/29/08 9:15 am, edited 7/29/08 9:17 am - Doylestown, PA
On July 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM Pacific Time, Barbara J. H. wrote:

HI,   I'm so sorry you are having trouble with this.  It took me awhile to get used to my cpap too. But it is so worth it once you get used to it.  I refuse to sleep or nap without it now.  

The problem you are having with the water in the tubing is being caused by one of two things.  If you are using heated humidification, try turning your temps down.  I was keeping my house cold at night and my heater set at 4.  I found that I would wake up drowning too.  I turned my heater down to 2 and insultated my tubing with a home made cover. (I knitted a cover with yarn and it works perfect! )    The other reason could be that you are filling the tank above the fill line.  

What type of nasal pillow mask are you using?  I swear by the Breeze mask.  I've gone through more masks then a normal person and this is the ONLY mask I can use.  Try different size pillows each night until you find the ones that feel the best.   You might also want to try turning the pillows in the mask to get them to fit just right.   Not everyone's nostrils are shaped the same and you might have to use one size med and one size small or large.  They don't have to match,LOL       Please don't give up.  You can do this!

Barbara

Barbara,

Thanks for your reply. Ironicaly I got a call from one of PAT nurses "Jen" today who wanted to know what my hours on the CPAP were. I told her I knew exactly what they were and confirmed that I need to have the 180 hours (she's telling me 200 hours) by date of surgery. So that made me feel a little less nervous that come hell or high water i will get these hours in...but at the total cost of any sleep or peace of mind.

I have not tried the Breeze, but if these freakin' new nasal pillow dont work out - I'll give it a try. Fortunately I think I have excellent insurance and can just call the DME and say "no go" and I'll get a different mask. I really think the insurance company just wants to make sure patients are infact using the CPAP machines since they are about $1000 a pop.

I just cannot seem to get a seal to save my life. The type of nasal pillow I use are one piece so I cant try two different pillow sizes. I've tried the small and they seem too big and the petite are too small and I hiss....(I am however VERY excited that if nothing else my nostrils are a size small :-) so I have that going for me.

Also I have very long hair and the straps seem to slip up my hair at night when I'm sleeping. I might seriously consider wearing a pair of panty hose on my head at night...seeing as the CPAP mask has redered my utterly UN-SEXY to begin with.

Oh well, off to put the 2 year old to bed and then get in bed myself to watch TV and CPAP the night away.

FYI 

This is the machine I'm using....

products_showmedia.jpg picture by mbittar

and this is the nasal pillow contraption I currently use

respironics-optilife-4-lg.jpg picture by mbittar

The first one I tried for 2+ weeks was this one

hc407-mid.jpg picture by mbittar

Barbara J. H.
on 7/29/08 2:07 pm - Martinsburg, WV
Oh my that's your problem right there....... that mask is as useful as a handful of poo.....Are you a side,tummy or back sleeper? I'm a side sleeper and hated that mask.  I have chubby cheeks and could never get that mask to stay put on my face.  You really should try the Breeze. And don't let the DME tell you they can't get it.  It's still being made and still available.  My DME tried to tell me that they don't carry it anymore and that the mask you are currently using is superior......... yeah right! I really have to disagree on that one. I've tried literally hundreds of masks and can spot one that is not going to work well for me pretty quickly.  I get a new replacement mask every six months.  Every time I go in to reorder what I currently use they try to push a new mask on me.  I think they (DME people)believe what  the suppliers tell them is good and so they try to push the newest masks on the patient.  How many of them have actually tried them ALL night??    I'm sticking with what I know works for me.  There is also a place online that you can order masks through.  I will send you that info in e mail.    Your machine is the one that I will be getting in October.  I have to wait for the 5 yr mark to get a new machine from my insurance.   I can't wait, I love how small the new machines are.  Great for traveling!   

I know this is going to sound weird, but it works.... and like you said.... the mask/machine takes away any kind of sexyness so what can you do? LOL    I use the chin guard along with one of those headbands women wear in the winter time to cover their ears..... I put that on under my chin and across the top of my head.  Then I put the chin strap over top of that.  Works like a charm and doesn't slide.  You can get them at Walmart for 97 cents!    I'll try and take pictures tomorrow and show you what I mean.   I sometimes drool too..... I know tmi  but my setting is kind of high so it happens.  I cover my mouth with a baby size washcloth folded in half and tuck that under the chin strap to hold it in place.    My hubby and kids think I'm strange, but I am well rested!    One more suggestion, try taking short naps in the afternoon with your maks and cpap on.  I found that little hills made the mountain seem not so huge!  You can do this, I know you can.  I'm a seriously picky person and got used to it, sure there were several nights/afternoons that my mask was flung across the room and me in tears.  But I kept trying. I know you can too. I'm an e mail away if you still need help or wanna talk about this.

Barbara

Banded 3/30/06 -VG band currently @ 5.5 ccs
Colby Matthew  8-7-07 Born 5 weeks early @ 3:27 pm. 5 lbs 10 oz  19 1/2 in.            CIMG3503.jpg image by TealHearts70 Colby @ 4 mo. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views