Hit a plateau?? Think you're done??

Mary Benford
on 7/23/08 11:49 pm - Emmaus, PA

For the past I’d say 2 ½ months I’ve been bouncing back and forth between gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. No matter what I changed in my exercise routine....I kind of accepted that it had been about a year and a half, and my weight loss had probably stopped. I was completely ok with this.. I continued my eating, and exercise regimen, and kept everything mostly the same. I personally find it easier for me to eat the same thing… every day for breakfast, my mid-morning snack, lunch, and my afternoon snack every single day. For some people I’m sure that would be way too much repetition. But it keeps me on the right path. Anyhow, this last week, I made the decision to up my protein drastically. And so I did! I incorporated a protein shake in replacement for my mid-afternoon snack.

Well, let me tell you something… I’ve lost 8 lbs. in 4 days. I’m SO excited! After not losing for a while… then dropping like that.. J It had to be the increase in protein. So.. long story short.. you’re stuck in a plateau, try either increasing, or decreasing your protein!!! It works!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

bubble273
on 7/24/08 1:00 am - Levittown, PA
Wow, Mary!!!  That's incredible.  Before you know it, there won't be anything left to you :)  Congrats on the weight loss and the epiphany about the protein. 

I think I may take you up on that offer to up my protein.  I've been teetering around the darn 200 mark trying to get to onederland for the past couple of weeks.  I know one of the problems is that I can now eat more, which I'm not happy about, and I'm not moving like I should.  So that's a no brainer for me...if you're eating more, you've got to move more.  And I've been saying for a while now that I needed to start incorporating the protein shakes because I know I don't get enough in my regular food.  So I really am going to start doing that, especially with your recent weight loss.

Thanks, Mary, for always putting things into perspective and getting us to realize what we may be doing wrong!!! 

Karen

dit657
on 7/24/08 1:08 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congrats on getting that big stall moving,and thanks for the great tip on the protein. I'm with Karen - I might need to add a shake a day to my regime too. I'm working out a lot more but the scale isn't moving much right now and we all know how frustarting that can be. Your journey has been incredible - I just went out and looked at all of your albums - you don't even look like the same person! Congratulations again on such a fantastic journey - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 7/24/08 10:10 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hijack,

Kathy what a nice new avatar!  You're looking good girl!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 7/25/08 12:54 am - Easton, PA
I second the message hijack - I just HAD to jump in and say WOW WOW WOW looking awesome Kathy!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 7/24/08 1:49 am
Mary glad to hear you broke the stall...will remember when a stall happens to mix up the protein!
Job well done! You already are but you are going to make one stunning bride!
Shannon O.
on 7/24/08 5:04 am - Reading, PA
That is awesome news... I think this weekend I am going to do more protein shakes to see if that helps me drop some a little fast and to change things up a bit...

DebiMcK23
on 7/24/08 6:48 am - Aston, PA
I just hired a new personal trainer, because I have been on a stall for 3 months now.  AHHHH  3 months of being just a couple pounds away from Onederland.

Anyway, here are some of the tips he gave me to start with...

Best time to do Cardio is first think inthe morning onan empty stomach.  More fat will be pulled from existing fat stores for energy

next best time to do cardio is immediately after your weight training workout.  your body burns throught it's carb stores during weightlifting, and you will burn more fat during your cardio

if neither of those is possible, wait at least 3 hours after a meal to do cardio

never do cardio immediately BEFORE Weight training

antoher good option is to do your cario on your off days from weight training, that way, your metabolism is stimulated almost every day

He also said cario sessions exceeding 50 minutes hav ebeen shown to dramatcially increase cortisol output.  Cortisol is a hormone that breaks down mucle tissue.

If you do your cardio after weight training, he suggests you take a l flutamine and branched chain amino acid supplement in between.  this will prevent muscle tissue from being broken down for fuel

I am going to follow his rules and workout program for the next 3 months and see what happens.  Maybe I will add a protein shake too!

303/197/153

Lslaven
on 7/24/08 7:03 am - Philadelphia, PA
Mary:
8 pounds in 4 days is incredible.  While it may have been the protein, it also could have been your body just catching up from what you did in the past.  You are amazing and quite an inspiration to us all.  Keep up the great work.  Just make sure that you have a good tailor on standby to take in your wedding dress if necessary.  At the rate you are losing, alterations may be essential.
Linda
Laureen S.
on 7/24/08 10:13 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Mary,

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind, unfortunately, my weight loss ha**** a crawl, so I'll try what you are saying, seems I have been stuck at this weight forever, but at just over 9 months I know I can't be done yet, just that this stalls of mine seem to last forever, oh well,   I'm in this for the long haul and I won't give up, people like you keep me going. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views