Another Question: Food sensitivity

Paulette L.
on 7/20/08 10:20 pm
Hi Friends,
First let me say "thanks" for all your reply's ot all my questions as most of you know reading these boards and hearing from people who are living the life...is the best way to find out more about what it is like ...SO THANKS!
OK next few questions:
1) I know that the friends I have had (both GB and LAP) both talk about restriction and vommitting....I HATE the feeling of vommitting...I mean I turn into a real baby and when I get that feeling of being sick it just makes me really nervous. Having said that ....can I still get either of these procedures? From what I understand in both you can vomitt alot? OR is that in the beginning until  you learn what not to eat and what to eat.
2) Can anyone speak to the type of foods that they are sensative to and there fore never feel like eating? I know my friends with the LB cant eat pasta, bread that type stuff but can eat pudding, shakes...so it is a real struggle for her to remember to eat correctly and not "cheat the band"

Any words of wisdom would be great . Thanks again friends.
Paula
dit657
on 7/20/08 10:43 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Paula, unfortunately there are no pat answers for you with this because we're all different. I'm 5 months out - I don't eat bread (too doughy) - rarely eat pasta and can't eat beef or sugar products. In the beginning I did get the 'foamies' quite often - mostly due to me eating too fast or trying something too soon. For me vomiting was the only way to get some comfort and get rid of the 'stuck' feeling. Trust me, I'm no fan of it either, but sometimes its gotta be done.

Whichever route you choose to go the best advice is to follow what your doctor(s) and nutritionist tell you to do - take things slowly - eat slowly - drink a lot - chew slowly. Some things you will just have to learn for yourself along the way - we all do.

Best of luck to you whichever path you choose.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 7/20/08 10:57 pm - Easton, PA
From one person who hates vomiting to another, I understand completely.  I do not do well with vomiting - I cry and carry on like a three year old and have to have someone set up my toothbrush for me and what not.

That being said - in the beginning, I felt sick often.  Granted - I never ever threw up - but there were times I wish I could.  I would dry heave for 1/2 hour at a time and just bring up "foamies" (clear yucky extra fluid from your throat and nose - sorry to be so graphic)

It gets better over time.  You learn if you've eaten to fast.  You learn if you can't tolerate certain foods.  You learn if you haven't chewed well.

For me - I  had very few intolerances.  I don't do well with dense doughy products such as english muffins or bagels.  I can have small amounts of bread, and occassionally do, but try to stay away from it as much as possible.  I haven't tried a full serving of pasta yet in any form - I have better things to eat.

You may find in the beginning you get them often - not from food intolerances per say - and sometimes for no apparant reason (I call these  "Miss Prissy Pouch" days where I can eat something one day and the next day, pouch desides she doesn't like it)  I'm 8 mos out and rarely have this problem anymore unless I do something stupid.

You hate vomiting - so if you eat the wrong food, and you vomit, you won't be doing that again now would you?  It's like the "Pavlov dog theory" if you will.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Laureen S.
on 7/20/08 11:51 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Paula,

I am a lap RNY'r, and never could understand bulimia, though I often wished I could be one, for the very fact that vomiting is not a pleasant experience. . .  needless to say, about the time I went on full foods I had my first experience with foamies having eaten something that my pouch did not like (hamburger) and needing to vomit, it scared me, but lucky for me I was having dinner with folks from my support group meeting and they assured me I'd be fine, well I went to the bathroom after trying like hell to avoid the experience and well, it was nothing like the past, I'm not saying Ioved it, but it was a relief and not quite the violent wretching that was prior to surgical procedure.   I went on to experience that intermittenly over the next couple of months and have not had it happen in quite a while now.  So while, like you, I hate the idea of vomiting, I can say with all honesty, it is different post surgery, plus you generally learn what your pouch can and cannot tolerate, which for me includes any form of hamburger meat, pasta and white breads and dryed out reheated foods. 

We are all different, so there is no pat answer to your question, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't hesitate!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Paulette L.
on 7/21/08 12:43 am
Laureen,
THey thanks so much for the info it was really helpful . It sounds like it is an unaviodable part of the learning process but I am starting to understand that it happen from time to time until I will lean about my new body and how it reacts to things. Thanks so much you put me at ease a little more with the idea of WLS.
Regards,
Paula
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views