Average length of hospital stay

lisasmh
on 7/19/08 1:02 pm - Hanover, PA
I am going to be having a Lap RNY and according to my paperwork I will be going in on 8-7 and discharged on 8-8 as long as I tolerate liquids.  Does this sound right??  I just thought that sounded kind of short.  Thanks
Lisa
Pam Hart
on 7/19/08 10:47 pm - Easton, PA
I've heard of others staying one night.....it is short.....

I was operated on 11am on a tuesday morning.  I was walking out of the hospital by 10 am Thursday morning.

Could I have gone home Wednesday?  Possibly.  I wasn't on any heavy duty pain meds and was walking around and breathing - but it was kind of nice to stay that extra night.  By Thursday morning, though, I definately wanted OUT - felt MORE than ready to be in my own house!!

If you aren't up to going home, I'm sure they would keep you....

Talk to your surgeon too!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
lisasmh
on 7/20/08 1:46 am - Hanover, PA
Thaks Pam.  I know the dr is very competent and will do what is best for me. I guess the jitters are starting to set in now that this is a reality and it's almost here.  I am going to be a mess the day of surgery!!
Lisa
Pam Hart
on 7/20/08 1:57 am - Easton, PA
Presurg jitters are common - don't worry!!  "be a mess the day of surgery" lemme tell you - I wasn't to nervous before hand - until I walked into the hospital.  Yup - I was the crazy girl crying hysterically in the waiting room when they called me back.  I didn't think I had gotten nervous - but I was very good at keeping myself busy and not allowing myself to FEEL my nervousness.

Best decision I ever made.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jdruski
on 7/20/08 5:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Lisa,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Each surgeon does things differently.  I think your health pre-surgery, your condition when you are done and how quickly you can be up and around.  I went in on a Tuesday morning (I had to have a filter installed) was operated on Wednesday, had open instead of scheduled lap, and was kept until Saturday morning.  I feel under my cir****tances this is probably average. 

I have heard of overnighters but rest assured if the team doesn't feel that you are ready to go home you might spend an extra night.

Good luck to you.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views