Help... Night time Hunger@@!

JillZ
on 7/19/08 8:45 am - Warrington, PA
I'm almost 1 year out and have been doing pretty good, but lately I'm battling the night time hunger again.  That was always my problem pre-surgery!  I try drinking lots of fluids, even tea and sf hot coco, going to bed earlier, walking, not going back downstairs etc.  but I'm still thinking a lot about food at night.  Any suggestions, HELP!

Pam Hart
on 7/19/08 12:28 pm - Easton, PA
I have this problem too - although - for me it's "morning" hunger cause I work the over nights and want to eat when I come home before going to bed.

Somebody at one point suggested that if you MUST eat do something like those single serving of sugar free jello or sugar free icepops - they have almost 0 calories.

Your coping mechanisms sound good - so far - but I understand how they might not be helping.  Perhaps if you are thinking about the food so much - journaling will help?  Write out what you are thinking and then take it a step further to WHY you are thinking that way etc and what is it you really want.  If it's boredom - maybe another hobby - like puzzle work or something else to keep your hands busy may help.

Good luck - lemme know if you figure it out!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Jan K.
on 7/19/08 2:53 pm - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hi Jill!  How are you?

I get night time munchies too.  I generally eat some nice fresh fruit or have some soy protein chips.  I find the soy chips fill me up.  I eat the fruit because I love it and besides the fact that it keeps me very regular .  You could also try a hand full of nuts but be careful since they can lead to another handful and another.

Jan
         You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 
                                 Celebrate Life, L'Chaim, Peace, Shalom

evrblue
on 7/19/08 5:05 pm - McConnellsburg, PA
Right now, pre-op I am a night owl, always have been, so eating at night is what I am used to. I have "supper" around 4pm, then I end up hungry again around 9p, and sometimes again at 3am.

I don't know how I'm going to work my eating plan out. Hopefully the NUT can help me with that.

Right now I am having some tummy troubles and I am on a soft foods, no meats or carbonated drinks diet. I've done the BRAT diet, and added some things in like cooked apples, mac and cheese, cottage cheese and fruit, Lipton Chicken Noodles soup, mashed pot's and gravy, sherbert, ff pudding and Jello, and plenty of fluids. Not exactly diet food or even diabetic food but it's what I have to eat for now. I think of it as a mini-test to see if I can follow the Doc's instructions without cheating...so far, so good. I did try 2 swallows of diet coke and even shook it up to get the bubbles out- but it hurt really bad going thru my sore colon. No more of that.

Tonight I had mashed pot's with gravy around 4:30p. Around 9p I had some cottage cheese and peaches. Not really hungry right now ( that's good).

Let me tell you I have been dreaming of pizza! Don't know when I can go back on regular foods. I see the GI man the 5th.

And I crave other naughty snacks at night too. I try to keep naughty foods out of the house or if hubby has them he hides the pkg and takes the goodies with him to work in his bucket.

I think starting a journal would be helpful, also my surgeon said that's one of the first things the NUT will ask me to do is a food journal.

The other main thing I have been doing is not eating in the car, in front of TV or computer or while reading. That has helped me eat slower and stay satisfied longer.

Good luck everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views