Open RNY, anyone?

Shan08
on 7/18/08 1:19 pm - the Skook, PA
Hi all,
I'm just wondering of we have any open RNY vets out there?
As I will be having the open procedure on August 11th, and the anxieties are in full force about recovery and all.

So any info you have and/or stories to share of your own experiences would be very apprreciated!  Thanks!

<3 Shannon
NoMoMeatball
on 7/18/08 1:51 pm
Hi Shannon- I had an open RNY on August 16th 2005. I healed beautifully and was back to work in 3 weeks. This is amazing because I am diabetic and heal slowly. The scar is minimal. I had the procedure done at Barix Clinic, where I received excellent care and proper instruction for wound care. I do not like to take pain medicine and so after I went home I only took one pain pill the first day and that was it. I was 53 when I had the surgery. If you are younger you may heal even more quickly. I wish you the very best of luck.
Nancy C.-Langhorne, PA
Patti M.
on 7/18/08 6:53 pm
Hi Shannon!

I had open RNY May 11, 2006 at the Barix Clinic in Langhorne, like Nancy.  I was out of the hospital in 3 days and back to work in 3 weeks.  I'm an accountant, so I do have a desk job, but I still wasn't able to lift anything over 10 lbs when I went back to work.  For the first week back my boss let me work as much as I could each day...some days it was the whole day, but others I was heading home by noon.  I didn't have any problems at all during recovery.  My scar is still visible, but I'm ok with that....I never planned on wearing a bikini.  LOL!! If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask me.
Patti      
Patricia R.
on 7/18/08 7:11 pm - Perry, MI
Hi there,
I also had open RNY on August 28, 2006, at Barix Clinic in Langhorne.  I was back to work in six weeks, because I am a teacher.  I had no problem with wound care healing, or any other issues. 

Good Luck.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

CherylT
on 7/18/08 10:32 pm - Perkasie, PA
I'm not a vet, but I echo what others have said above. I had an open RNY on January 30, 2008. The pain was never as bad as my expectations, nor was having to sleep on my back a problem like I expected it to be. I had no wound infections, or other issues which I'd also expected. My scar is beginning to fade and become smaller, from the bottom up. I am very glad I chose to have an open procedure done, as I was a high risk patient for this surgery. I had no complications and I cannot say enough good things about my surgeon. I am very blessed.

Ready4 AChange
on 7/19/08 12:01 am - Upper Chichester, PA
I had open RNY in Sept. 05.  I did have a problem , an infection. I had been home a couple of days and smelled really bad, ( I'm not telling you this to scare you just so you know that some things do happen once in a while ) My insision was draining alot. I called the doctor and told his nurse. It wasn't until I said it smelled that they were concerned and had me come back in. I was in a week longer with IV antibiotics. Came home with an open wound that a home health care worker came to put in a "wound vac" and it was changed three times a week . I had that for about 6 weeks until I healed.

I want to say that yes, there are sometimes complications . It is up to you to know what your body is telling you . If you have a question ask, call your doctor (first and foremost)
, ask on this board. There are no "stupid questions" .

With this infection there was no temperature, no real pain ( except for the insision) only the smell. Six months later I also had an insisional hernia ( looked like I was pregnant) Make sure if you are given a binder , wear it ! No heavy lifting ! Follow doctors orders ! The good part about the hernia was that when I had it fixed I also had 7 lbs of my panni removed that day!
Now for the important question >>>>>>>>>Would I do it again ? >>>> YES, DEFINATELY ......In a heartbeat !  I have lost over a hundred pounds, feel better than I have in a long time, can chase my grandson without having to sit down every 5 minutes, can tie my shoes, go on walks . I weigh now what I weighed over 30 years ago ( wish I was the same age ).

I hope I didn't scare you. Good Luck and make sure you get in your protein. After I came home from the infection my surgeon said to make sure I got in extra protein for faster healing. Thanks to my husband he made sure I got it in , I healed  fast, even the doctor was impressed.

Again, Good Luck
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

jdruski
on 7/19/08 6:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Shannon,

I went in to have lap and at the last minute they went open.  Beside a slight wound infection there was no problems.  I did get a hernia and had it repaired this January.  I was up and around right after the sugery and back home in two days.  I live alone and I don't remember having any difficulties getting around.

Good luck to you. 

Jeanne

Shan08
on 7/19/08 11:33 pm - the Skook, PA
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me.
I hope my recovery is smoooooth.  I really wanna hit this whole thing outta the park, ya know?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views