Surgeons for Lap Band for those with BMI btwn 30 and 34.9

playwithzoe
on 7/18/08 6:00 am
I am seriously considering Lap Band and I live in PA near Philly, but I cannot seem to find and surgeons near me who will do Lap Band surgery on me since I am under 35 BMI.  So far I found only New York University Dr.s Fielding, Ren and Kurian who will do Lap band only (no RNY) for folks with BMI between 30 - 34.9 (anyone here who has had them as surgeons?).  Does anyone here know of other surgeons who will do Lap band or RNY for under 35 BMI?  I am prepared to pay for it myself as insurance won't cover unless over 35 BMI + co-morbids.  I do have high cholesterol and they are thinking of putting me on meds. I was told I had fatty liver and I most likely have a mild case of sleep apnea as well.  I keep injuring myself when working out, joint pain, pulled tendons.  I’ve lost and re-gained 100s of lbs, I just can’t keep it off.  I don't want these conditions to worsen.  Right now I just broke the 200 lbs mark and I am  a little shorter than 5'6' (5' 3/4").  I am  a 44 yr old female.  6 years ago I had lost 50 lbs and was at 145 for 2 years but then put all back on. I workout and eat healthy most the time, I just eat too much.   I feel best when I weigh 130-135 but without surgery I don't think there is any chance of getting there again.  Any advice?
Stephanie C.
on 7/18/08 10:10 am - Exton, PA
Have you contacted Barix Clinics in Langhorne, PA? (Their number is 800-282-0066.)  On the day of my surgery (4/8/2008) I was 246 lbs., with a BMI of a little over 38, so it wasn't as low as yours, but somewhat in the ballpark. 

Barix was the second place I called when I began investigating WLS. The first place was Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, PA & after that phone call, I have to say I was discouraged. Although they were very pleasant, when I gave them my height (5'7") & weight (240 at the time), they didn't feel I should even bother going for a consultation. (I didn't have any co-morbidities either.) They were positive I wouldn't be approved by my insurance company (Aetna PPO) & said they don't accept "self pays". They said if I gained another 40 or 50 lbs., to try them again. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, although I realize they probably just didn't want to waste anybody's time (mine or theirs).

Barix was a different story. A very friendly person (whose name I unfortunately don't remember) took my call, answered my questions, & signed me up for a group consultation (12/28/2007). At the consultation I met the gentleman who would become my surgeon, Dr. Brian Boe, who I can't say enough good things about.  He is positively wonderful.  (I don't think you get to choose your surgeon at Barix, however, I've heard good things about all of them.)

In any event, Dr. Boe is a very caring surgeon / doctor & has a terrific bedside manner. (Good sense of humor & just an all around nice person.) He's very patient, doesn't rush through any of your appointments with him, & takes the time to answer any questions you may have. He doesn't have an attitude of superiority, as some doctors sometimes have. One thing I've also come to appreciate is the fact that he either has a really good memory or he actually takes the time to read his patient's charts BEFORE he actually goes in the room with them. (I've heard stories, and experienced it myself, of when doctors who don't really remember who you are or what took place / what was discussed at your last appointment & reads up on you while you're sitting in front of them. Now I don't expect a doctor to committ every patient to memory, however, I've been impressed with the fact that Dr. Boe is very clear on where I am & what my history is as soon as he walks in the door, without having to refer to my chart. 

Anyway, if you haven't tried Barix yet, I hope you'll give them a call. (By the way, I did end up paying for the Lapband surgery myself, which at the time was $18K, however, it included the pre-admission testing, the surgery, the overnight stay in the hospital, re-admission to the hospital (if necessary) within the first 30 days, & band adjustments for the first year.) Good luck & keep us / me posted on your journey. 
playwithzoe
on 7/18/08 10:56 am

Thanks and yes I did call Barix, in fact I have 2 friends who had RNY there and recommended them highly.  My sister is getting an RNY at Barix early this Sept.  All three of these people had over 40 BMI.  So, I did call Barix and was told that they will not do WLS (LAP Banding or anything else) unless you are over 35 BMI with co-moribidities. I was very disappointed.

Pam Hart
on 7/18/08 11:32 am - Easton, PA
I don't have much advice to offer you.  I do know that one of our group participants, Shauna had Dr. Brader (formerly of Barix, now with Lancaster General in his own practice with a comprehensive team)  This past spring, Shauna was speaking with Dr. Brader about her daughter.  Her daughter struggles with weight issues, is very active at the gym, etc etc etc.  Her BMI is under 35, but just barely, and she has to work dearly to keep it there.  Shauna was asking Dr. Brader if he would band her daughter for her - even if it meant self pay.  Dr. Brader (who is a "celebrity" with most of his patients and whom I spoke with for quite some time although I had already had surgery and I myself was very impressed with him) said that no, he wouldn't band her unless she was a BMI of 35 or above.  I believe it comes down to risk for both the patient and consequently, the doctor and insurance (malpractice etc) issues.  It also has to deal with most hospitals won't "allow" such patients to be operated on in their facilities.

He did say that there are surgeons "south of the border" who would do it.  Most of those are self pay.  I'm not sure if you are willing to do that.  I believe there is a forum on here for patients who go to Mexico and such for procedures.  People have had much success using these programs - I myself am leary of programs not affiliated with the United States or other countries.  I certainly don't agree that the US has an outstanding medical system in place - as an RN I see way to many flaws with the system.  Unfortunately, it is my own pre determined judgements that keep me from exploring such options. I'm sure you will get a different view from others.

Wishing you well on your journey, please keep us updated.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
playwithzoe
on 7/18/08 3:26 pm
Thanks for your advice and support.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views