moving things along

sbrunell
on 7/18/08 1:22 am - Bensalem, PA
Ok folks.  I think I ate something too fast...some beef jerky in the car. I've always been bad about eating too fast in the car.

Anyway, I got to work and knew I would be sick. I know if I bend over, I get sicker, and thought that would move things along. After wretching for 20 minutes, I eventually turned to the way of the runway model.

If you know you are going to be sick, is there anything you can do to get it move along faster.  I lost a 1/2 hour of work today running to the bathroom and back.

Thanks,
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Ready4 AChange
on 7/18/08 1:30 am - Upper Chichester, PA
I think you just have to let it take it's course. For me anyway. Or maybe try sipping some hot tea  may help. ( I know with this heat , hot tea is the last thing on your mind) Even "trying " to make myself sick didn't help me.
Hope you feel better soon.
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

jdruski
on 7/18/08 1:37 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Steve,

When it has happened to me I have done the finger down the throat (is that the runway model method????).  Once the excess or stuck item is out I go on about my business.  However, it has taught me to slow down and really chew and that extra bite just is not worth it. 

Hope you are feeling better.

Jeanne
dit657
on 7/18/08 1:39 am - Boothwyn, PA
Sorry to hear about you getting sick from the beef jerky - not much you can do other than the finger down the throat thing to get it up and out of there - at least for me. Once the foamie**** if it doesn't come up naturally than I have to help it along.

That being said, beef jerky seems like an awfully tough thing to chew and digest for you this early out. I'm 5 months as of today and still struggle with any beef products. So be careful what you're eating - I know its a good, easy snack for the car, but maybe try protein bars or something like that instead.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 7/18/08 1:46 am - Easton, PA

Even WITH sticking my finger down my throat (this sounds like a horrible meeting of bulemics at this point!) I have never once vomited - it's always a horrible horrible case of the foamies for me.

There's nothing that helps me except time.  Although - at this point - when something is stuck or I have eaten to fast or what have you, sometimes I'm so nauscious and the foamies don't even come - so there goes the finger - which only produces a case of the foamies - but still seems to make me feel a little bit better.

I don't know if this has ANY clinical sense what so ever - but I have found (by coincidence) that on not so severe episodes if I take a b12 (sublingual) it helps the nausea pass sometimes.  I'm not sure for the reason - maybe it's just the flavor or the fact I create saliva and help push whatever it is away - but I swear it works.

I haven't tried beef jerky yet - I've always eyed it up in the store.  A lot of the brands have sugar in them, and I've never had it pre op and am "scared" of it post op.  Considering I eat just about anything else - I doubt I would have a problem with it - but it's just my mind set.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/08 2:08 am - Eastern, PA
I've eaten a few finger sandwiches in my day.

It's not something you want to develop into a habit. You will kill your gag reflex eventually.

That said, sometimes, you just know you're going to throw up, so you might as well get it over with.

LadyJwb
on 7/18/08 3:53 am - Philadelphia, PA
I bought the Papya Enzyme Tea and it works wonders I know that it comes in tables as well . It helps to break down the food if stuck or "eating to fast in the car" I have also drank pepermint tea if I felt  uncomfortable. Scared to swallow the jerky .

Gail M.
on 7/18/08 7:04 am - Scranton, PA
Steve,
  If I have to, I do the fingers down the throat.  First I get the foamies but then I kind of cough until the stuck food expells.  I feel a million times better after I get it up.  Unfortunately, it took me quite some time to learn the chewing method.  I try for 30 chews. 
   Old habits don't die young!
Gail

evrblue
on 7/18/08 11:48 am - McConnellsburg, PA
Sorry to hear you got sick. Hope you feel better soon!   I hate to vomit, so I try and do anything I can to keep from it. Peppermint tea and a cool washcloth on the back of my neck helps.

As far as making yourself sick, what about ipicac syrup (sp?) U know, the stuff to take to make you vomit if you've had something poison. I wonder if that would help?

Shan08
on 7/18/08 1:08 pm - the Skook, PA
Hi all... can someone please tell me (or try to) what "foamies" are?
Thanks in advance...

Sincerely,
Shannon
...one of many pre-op'ers in the audience.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views