What is going on Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nikki B.
on 7/18/08 6:32 am - Biglerville, PA
I am 5 months out and something is really happening.  I have been at a stall for almost 1 month now and just started to gain????   What in the world could be going on?
Pam Hart
on 7/18/08 8:36 am - Easton, PA
Hey Nikki,

First off - I just wanted to let you know that I actually know where Biglerville is - a friend of mine used to live there.  Talk about a small town!!  I'm a jersey girl but post here instead as I had surgery in Langhorne, pa.

It could one of many things going on.  First of all - are you tracking your fluid and protein, fats and sugars?  Make sure you are hitting your goals and what not.

Secondly - it's the summertime and many people in the heat can retain water.  Make sure you up the water intake to help flush your system out.

Also - you could just be having a pretty big stall. It happens to the best of us!!  I stalled for quite some time around I guess the same time - I can't really remember exactly when.  But I would bounce between the same 3 pounds gaining and losing them for weeks at a time.  It was very frustrating.

Make sure you aren't allowing to many carbs sneaking in.  Things like crackers, popcorn, bread, pretzels, etc really play havock with me and when I "indulge" in them more than I should, I definately see the scale move in the "wrong" direction.

Changing up your menu can also help.  For example, if you normally eat a lot of chicken, switch it up to other protein sources such as lean beef and pork and things of that nature.  Your body gets very used to how many calories you are getting from the "same" type of food and adjusts accordingly - remember - it doesn't really want to get rid of this weight and it's still just a tool.

Probably one of the most important things in my opinion is exercise.  If you aren't exercising, make sure you get to doing that immediately.  If you are exercising - vary your routines.  Just as your body gets used to how many calories you take in by repeating the same menu items, it also gets comfortable with the exercise routine you are doing.  Many find that just walking after the first few months or so isn't enough.  You need to incorporate strength training, good aerobic activity and a well rounded routine.

Put the scale away - this too is very important.  Do NOT allow it to control your life.  Remember you can lose inches when you haven't lost any weight.  I went down almost 2 sizes in  about 6 weeks out of no where - with a loss of "only" 10 pounds.  It's because muscle is more dense than fat.  Therefore if you are losing fat and putting muscle in it's place you will weigh about the same but inches will be falling off.  If you don't do measurements  I suggest you start as soon as possible and repeat them once a month.  I posted a day or two ago my measurements since surgery.  Not because I want a "good for you" type comment from others - but to show how it really pays off. I had neglected to do my measurements for two months - and the difference is just incredible.

Keep following your program - believe in your surgeon and your tool.  Know that this too shall pass and if you are doing your part, your body can't win the battle - you eventually will.  It's frustrating, but you will get there.

Keep in touch,

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views