What does gallbladder pain feel like?

Georgianne Z.
on 7/17/08 3:25 am - NC
Hi!

So, what does gallbladder pain feel like?  And, how far out after WLS are you still at risk for gall bladder stuff?

An inquiring mind wants ta know! lol

Liz R.
on 7/17/08 3:55 am - Easton, PA
Well when then thought it was my gal bladder it was a tight and stabbing feeling on the right side  a few inches below my bust.

Oh and I don't think that we are ever "out of the woods" as far as length of time out from surgery.

Hope it is just a gas pain

Good Luck!

Liz
dit657
on 7/17/08 4:39 am - Boothwyn, PA
Mine was like someone was squeezing me right below my breasts with a giant vice, just putting more and more pressure on it all the time. I had mine out when 30+ years ago, tho - diseased gall bladder loaded with stones - doctor said I was probaby born with it since I started having attacks around the time of puberty, so no worries for me on that now. But everyone's pain is probably a little different, and it may be a lot different for WLS patients. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
JillZ
on 7/17/08 5:41 am - Warrington, PA
Typical gallbladder pain is right upper quadrant which is really right below your lowest rib on right side, also often nausea and vomitting especially after eatting a fatty meal.  However many people also feel pain in the back, or mid -abdomen everyone is different.  They are usually like attacks and come and go.

jackie j
on 7/17/08 6:17 am - Glenmoore, PA
As long as you have a gallbladder you are at risk for it!   After you don't have a gallbladder your risk increases for other things that might take over for it like the liver.   My pain was like a sword going straight through front to back right through the lower rib cage and it lasted for 3.5 hours straight and then it was gone like nothing ever happened.  I WANTED to vomit but didn't (the intensity of the pain broke me out in a sweat).   I had had MANY gastritus attacks in my teens  but they were across my front belly not localised to the right side.  This was alot in the back between my shoulder blade and spine.   
Georgianne Z.
on 7/17/08 8:19 am - NC
Thanks everyone!

I have had pain in my abdomen for a few weeks.  Most of the time it is after I eat and with things that I've eatten for a year.  Today, the pain went into my shoulder blades so I looked up the symptoms of gall bladder.  I have a lot of them.  I know a lot of the pain is gas but it is happening a lot more frequently now but the shoulder blade one is new... so I cannot tell now. 

It is almost time for my check up so I was going to wait until then to ask.  Maybe I'll move my appointment up. 

Pam Hart
on 7/17/08 9:53 am - Easton, PA
Everyone's responses is pretty much on target.  (and also the symptoms I had that turned out to be nothing)  If it's happening "often" now and it's persisted for months - I'm not quite sure it is your gallbladder as normally it is so severe and intense - but then again - you are one strong cookie and just might be able to handle the pain more so than some of my patients.  There is generally nausea and vomiting associated with it but not always.

Definately check about it - you might need an ultrasound of the gallbladder, a hida scan (which I just learned about myself) or a cat scan to determine what this is.

Feel better!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views