My Rant for today

SPatel4
on 7/17/08 2:11 am - Levittown, PA
Okay so a few of my co-workers know that I have had my WLS and are very supportive but lately some of them have been making a comment like should you be eating that?? For example I was eating a half a sandwich and this person says to me should you be eating that?? I turned around sweetly and said yeah it beats the pizza that everybody ate at the meeting today! He just walked off in a huff but I feel like Carnie Wilson I am by no means a poster child for WLS and do not wish to become one but did I make the right decision by telling a few people?? I work in the Sales and Marketing deparment at J&J companies and there is always food here like today when somebody brought in 10 cups of Dunkin Donuts coffee, Large bagels with various cream cheeses and Big Big muffins all I had was half of a half bagel and still there was one co-worker that made the comment that was I allowed to eat that. I am so upset and fursterated I did not touch anything else and then another Sales person brought in Panera Bread Bagels that have sugar all over them and I did not even touch those but I constantly get comments like they know what I should or should not be eating.  These people are not even that skinny which makes me wonder are they just jealous or trying to make me feel guilty to getting this surgery?? I am so bummed but thanks for letting me Rant and Rave. --Shilpa
Liz R.
on 7/17/08 2:20 am - Easton, PA
And did those words come out of their mouth as the jelly donut passed in?

I hate when people ask that. We all eat things that we probably shouldn't but we are still working our tool and doing a great job! Keep your head up and don't let other's ignorance get you down!

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/08 2:22 am
Next time tell spit out a mouthful as soon as they say someting and then thank them for reminding you because your doctor didn't warn you ..I just come to accept most people do not have brain to mouth filters.
randies_baby
on 7/17/08 2:52 am
I haven't had my surgery yet, but I know when I was dieting a couple years back and lost 100# everyone seemed to monitor what I was eating.  Maybe they are jealous.  Maybe they want inspiration.  Maybe they are shocked that you can still eat like a human and have a life whether you are dieting or post-op.  When dieting, I ate what I wanted just smaller portions.  I understand the food thing at work.  That is my downfall now -- drug reps and the pizza, bagels (gotta love Panera), cookies, etc esp around the holidays !!  I know it's hard, but I just tried to ignore it.  Of course I also had my days where I went on and on about how many calories I could eat in a day to make my deficit...blah blah blah....some people were interested some still had their own opinions.  We can't change others.  We can only do what is right for us and try to be strong -- even when it's hard !!  Best wishes !!
Pam Hart
on 7/17/08 3:15 am - Easton, PA
A few months back I grabbed a handful of chips multigrain chips (still not the best choice) at work - one of the other co workers grabbed some to and said "I didn't realize these were health food?"  I said "They're not!"  She put hers back - and said "Well, when I saw you eating them, I thought they were!  I didn't know you could eat stuff like this"  Sometimes I explain that I can have what I want - but if its high in fat and sugar means I could get very ill very quickly and would pay for my decision - and even if it's not high in fat/sugar (like the chips) I still have to make my own decisions and although I am not perfect, I am working my tool to the best that I can and living a basically healthy balanced life. 

If they say something you could chooose to explain that (although it gets old quick) or tell them "You didn't know I could eat this and I didn't know you were my doctor" or "You didn't know I could eat this?  There's probably a lot more you don't realize about my tool"

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
SPatel4
on 7/17/08 3:20 am - Levittown, PA
Thank You so much everybody I feel better already I just came back from walking on my Lunch. I walked 2 miles in this heat on my lunch while my co-workers are still munching on the bagels and muffins. I already feel like I burned off my half of a half bagel and I am not going to put down by these people. Most people are very understanding and sympathetic but there are a few in here that are watching me like a hawk and I as it is I get self-conscious when eating in public and now more so but I will remember what you said Pam and will do just that the next time.  Thanks again--Shilpa
Laureen S.
on 7/17/08 3:19 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Rant away. . .

When people make unsolicited comments, especially the kind that seems to me as though they are monitoring what I am doing, I try to turn it into a positive experience and realize that oftentimes, people have no clue of what our new lives entail, but some truly are guilty of jealous, petty behavior, we have to get tougher skins to deal with the world at large, easier said than done.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

tammypa
on 7/17/08 3:20 am - Philadelphia, PA
Maybe you should just reverse it and ask them if "they should be eating that" .
Then just smile and walk away. lol.
Tammy
EileenWalton
on 7/17/08 4:09 am
When someone asks me that question my answer is "I can eat anything in moderation."  I agree with Laureen.....I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

And good for your taking that long walk in this heat.  I hope that observed that also! 
Eileen

jjs1981
on 7/17/08 4:18 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
I have a friend whose wife's co-worker had WLS a few years ago. After I told him about my decision to have surgery, he began telling me a story about how they all went out to dinner once and this co- worker ate 1 mozzerella stick, 1 chicken finger and a couple of french fries and that he couldn't believe that she continued to eat the things that helped her get fat after the surgery. I "schooled" him on eating after WLS and also said that while it may not be the healthiest thing to choose, those items are okay in moderation for WLS patients just like everyone else. Then I blew up at him and said that if he ever criticized me about something I ate, I would be on the next plane to Columbus, OH (his home) to punch him right in the mouth.

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views