Moving to PA - Need some help

weezy_jmu
on 7/16/08 1:55 pm
 I'll be moving into PA from another state in August.  I had Lap Band 4/20/08 and I likely won't be able to go back to see my surgeon for my follow up visits due to distance.  I am trying to find a surgeon/program near West Chester, PA that is similar to the one I am coming from.  My current Dr. and staff are amazingly supportive, informative, and straight forward.  I'll also need a program that has support group meetings.  Can anyone make some recommendations?  Thanks in advance for your help! 
Liz R.
on 7/16/08 8:32 pm - Easton, PA
Well first of all welcome to PA :)

Barix is an option, their office is in Langhorne and is fantastic - there are many others as well. I am sure more people will jump in.

Good luck with the move!

Liz
kat19136
on 7/16/08 10:26 pm, edited 7/16/08 10:27 pm - Philadelphia, PA
There is a program in Lancaster PA that may be an option as well, since you are coming to West Chester, it may be a toss up as far as distance between Lancaster and Barix.  I am know there is a Dr. Brader out of Lancaster that severl on this board see who could better speak to Location.   Good Luck with your Move!

PS...then there is the program I attend in Abington with Dr. Bonnani. 

~Kat~     ~hw-305~cw-130~gw-140   my DS!!  www.dsfacts.com

Cheryl S.
on 7/16/08 11:09 pm - Millsboro, DE
Hi,

Good luck on your move and welcome to the PA forum!  Dr. Brader in Lancaster was my surgeon and is FANTASTIC.  He has a very comprehensive program there (exercise, nutrition, etc) and, IMO, is the best.

There are also several support groups around.  The Barix meetings in Langhorne are: pre-op (but several post-ops attend) -- 2nd Tues of the month at 7:00 pm; post-op -- 3rd Wed of the month at 7:00 pm.  The Barix meetings may be expanding to Saturday's as well.  Stay tuned. 

Dr. Brader has support group meetings in Lancaster.  There are also others around.

Welcome!
Cheryl
Ready4 AChange
on 7/16/08 11:30 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
My doctor is Leon Katz at Crozer in Chester. The support system is good and there are support groups once a month in Chester and once a month on Saturdays at Brinton Lake Healthplex not too far from West Chester ( near Rt. 1 and 322) If you have any questions I'll see if I can help.
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Laureen S.
on 7/17/08 2:04 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Welcome to the PA Forum, as you can see by the responses you've received, this is a very supportive board, another idea would be to ask if you doctor could recommend someone that is more local to where you will be living and then come on here and ask if anyone has experience with that particular doctor. . . 

Good luck and hope to meet you at a support group in the area soon.  There are quite a few, mentioned to you already, both at Barix (which is open to anyone, not just Barix patients) or some of the many that are at various people's homes on a monthly basis.

Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Lisa R.
on 7/18/08 11:02 am - Madison Township, PA
Welcome to Pennsylvania - we came here in July 2002 after six years in Colorado, and twelve years in NJ before that.  We are very happy and wouldn't want to be any place else.

Going near West Chester, you'll have alot of different options (as you've already seen).  Most people here are very happy with the programs they've chosen. 

I have been with Dr. Bonanni at Abington Memorial Hospital for a year now.  My surgery (DS) was 12/26 and I'm down 92 lbs.  To say I am happy is an understatement.

I know Dr. B. has DS patients, RNY patients and Lap Band patients as well.  His office recently was named a "Center of Excellence" and has changed locations - from the main campus of Abington to their Warminster location.  The office is huge, beautiful.  I think if you call them, you'll be very happy.

Good luck to you!
Lisa
(John Cena is something so right with pro wrestling, and he makes me very proud to be a fan - he's on track to be the celebrity with the MOST Make-A-Wish visits.)

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

Pam Hart
on 7/18/08 11:37 am - Easton, PA
I wanted to welcome you to the pa forum.  I have almost no advice for you as I do not know pa geography at ALL as I am a jersey girl who is desperately trying to move to Pa - we need to finish up some things here first, though.  I had my surgery at Barix - I saw that was mentioned to you - I'm just not sure how far it is from West Chester.  I am a huge Barix fan - like I said - traveled there from NJ (about 1 1/2 hours) and have never regretted my decision.

I'm glad you've done well thus far on your journey and hope you continue to excel and find a program that is good for you in your new area!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
weezy_jmu
on 7/22/08 6:25 am
Thank you all for your help, this gives me a direction to go in.  I'll also ask my Dr. if he knows anyone in PA.  I'll keep you posted!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views