Fish and Seafood

sbrunell
on 7/15/08 2:13 pm - Bensalem, PA
Well, most seafood you can eat is good for you. There is a lot of marketing B.S. you have to see your way through.  Wild and Farm Raised both have their positives; I can elaborate if you want to know.

Most seafood is healthy for you. Of the major proteins, seafood has the least calories per ounce, due to it's higher water content.

However, shrimp is a very expensive  shovel for ****tail sauce. I did cook some up for myself, and made my own ****tail sauce.  (Recipe below) Shrimp is high in cholesterol, so I would not eat it everyday, but it is fine in moderation. Also steam your own shrimp, when they are done (only 3 minutes in very ho****er), immerse them in a bath of ice water. Shrimp will continue to cook otherwise.  This stops the cooking process. That is why restaurants serve it chilled.

Salmon is of course an excellent choice. If you prefer a less fishy taste, ask for a farm raised Atlantic Salmon. I really like monkfi****'s a really, really ugly fish, that was so ugly the Italian fishermen would give it away to the monks, until someone figured out it tastes like Lobster. I would inquire if they have it. However, it is primarily sold in restaurants, and put in Lobster bisque, etc

Swai Fillet, formerly known as Basa,  is also a very mild tasting fish that most people enjoy. It's rather inexpensive. It has 13 grams of protein for 3.5 oz., and only 90 calories (per Calorieking.com).  Of course, Flounder or Fluke is a mild tasting fish.

King Crab also has a significant punch of protein (16 g) without many calories 82, in 3 oz. Now mind you, it's only low calorie if you don't dip it in butter. Personally, I don't use anything for my crab. I don't cook it either. When you buy it ( and snow crab), it's already been cooked. By law, it has to be.  Just thaw and you will find it far more flavorful. Food tastes a lot better when it's only cooked once.  My mother didn't believe me, and  each time she would call me and ask me how to steam it. I told her and recommended trying it cold. Finally, she relented, and now eats it cold. Also, the shell snaps and allows you easier access to the meat.

I really like scallops. I normally take them and skewer them and grill them. I will also broil them for 6 to 8 minutes, after sprinkling them with kosher salt, ground pepper and paprika. A quick rule for cooking seafood (steaks) is 10 minutes of cooking per inch. 

If you know someone who is pregnant, I would pass them this link: http://www.aboutseafood.com/health-nutrition/pregnancy . There are specific species of fish that have a high mercury content, and these should be limited. Otherwise, the fatty acids in seafood reduce pre-term labor, and is good for brain development.

Kick ass ****tail Sauce
2 TB  Heinz One Carb Ketchup
1 TB Horseradish (more or less to taste, I prefer more)
1 squirt of lemon, or lime
Total sugars:   2 grams
Flavor: Lots
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

evrblue
on 7/15/08 2:25 pm - McConnellsburg, PA
Wow, thanks for all the info. I'm not a fish lover but I have come to the conclusion that it's going to have to be integrated into my diet. I don't care for the Salmon I have had in the past, so I will try what u suggested.

When you do trout or flounder do you broil it? How do you season it?

(I'm used to fish from a box covered in ketchup or tartar sauce)

I like shrimp and scallops tho.

Thanks again!
Liz R.
on 7/15/08 8:25 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks for all the info Steve! It will certainly go to good use. I do eat quite a bit of fish (at least 2-3 times a week) and am glad that it is good for me :)

Liz
Pam Hart
on 7/15/08 9:38 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Steve.  All that information was very helpful.

The only thing I can't wrap my mind around is the cold king/snow crab leg thing.  I absolutely can't stand cold seafood - including things like shrimp ****tail.  To the point that when I order snow crab legs in restaurants - when they cool off I stop eating them (and burn my hands in the beginning process to get the meat out when it's still warm)  I know - I'm bizarre.  But the flavor information was interesting - something I would have obviously not have known until now.  Perhaps one day I will revisit this idea.....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
sbrunell
on 7/15/08 11:46 pm - Bensalem, PA
When I was fighting w/ my mother on this issue...maybe I should say convincing.....

I told her that I've eaten more snow crab than her. I told her to hold one section of leg back and try it cold....and to try it while the pot was boiling....she turned the pot off.

Personally, I think the snow crab is better, but more work.  Since I can buy it between $3-5/lb, it's a lot easier.

I was wondering if I bought wholesale, if I could do something w/ it, but it can be a whole lot of hassle. I did it before, and people were quick to order, but not quick to pay or pick up....and my freezer only holds so much.

But I digress...

Try it cold.  You wouldn't want your steak cooked a second time...The same is true for the crab...and to be clear...Snow, King and Dungeness crab is all cooked. So is the crab meat in the cans. However, blue claw (both live and frozen) and soft shell crabs are raw, and I would recomomend cooking them.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
Dr. Pupkova

dit657
on 7/15/08 9:48 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Those are some really great fish tips - thank you so much for sharing! I can eat snow crab hot or cold - maybe I'll treat the family to some this weekend. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
FlourPower
on 7/15/08 10:40 pm - PA

Thanks Steve for the information.  Before my surgery I really didn't like fish or seafood but now after surgery I really LOVE it.  I eat it a couple of times per week and it's one of the proteins that I can count on keeping down...with the exception of salmon....that is a no-no for me.  I've been making my ****tail sauce with low carb ketchup too....I add more horseradish too because I like it HOT,HOT,HOT!! 

Chrissy

[

EileenWalton
on 7/15/08 11:17 pm
Thanks for the info.   I like fish, but only if it's mild in flavor.  I was a huge tilapia fan until last week when the news came out that eating a burger is more healthier than eating a piece of tilapia.  I try to eat fish 3 or 4 times per week.  Any suggestions on what fish to purchase that would be just as mild as tilapia?  What about orange roughey?  I've never had it but hear a lot of people talking about it.
Eileen

sbrunell
on 7/16/08 3:38 am - Bensalem, PA
Orange Roughy is good, but pricey. I am selling it at 5.25, so the retail is about $8.99 or more. There is some inferior product coming out of China.  There have been a lot of problem w/ food out of China, so I normally stay away, as much as possible.

You also might like:

Sole (similar to flounder)

Snapper (great on the grill, mild sweet taste)

New Zealand Mussels are a nice treat. You can eat them cold or sautee them. They are already cooked.  By law, you have to cook shellfish or sell it live.

Cod is good, but I think Hake is better. You could do a tortilla crumb breading and bake. About 15 minutes at 350.

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
Dr. Pupkova

LadyJwb
on 7/15/08 11:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Steve I Luv Luv seafood i soooo want a piece of Fried Trout, but of course i want even dare. I'm going to try out the Monk fish for sure .

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views