ER UGGH question-help

litlhurry
on 7/14/08 8:40 pm - anytown, PA
I just returned from an 8 hour er visit for left flank pain..long story short-kidney stones and elevated calcium..IV and 3 dilidid (sp) later I am sent home to pass this 6.6ml stone. Now if calcium is the likely cause of the stone.. What's up with the supplements? I have an appt. on Tues. with Kirkland but anyone else have this? I also gained 8 lb. from the fluid..how long til this goes? I have OMG some"superior is gonna weigh me-bad girl syndrome".thanks geri
Liz R.
on 7/14/08 8:55 pm - Easton, PA

aww Geri - not sure about teh supplements - but I sure do hope that it passes quickly and with as little pain as possible!

Best of Luck

Liz

dit657
on 7/14/08 9:40 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and the stone - I've never had one but my sister did and I know how painful it was for her. The calcium supplements sort of worry me with that, too, especially since we tend to eat a lot of high calcium products for the protein. The fluid should pass thru your body quickly - fast in, fast out, and it is just fluid. I just hope the stone passes as quickly and you don't suffer with it. Take care - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/08 10:17 pm

Poor you Geri!!  You might want to get in contact with Dennis and Georgianne (GreekPrincess)...they are our resident experts via first hand experience with this.  Dennis even has pictures of his kidney stones on his phone LOL 

HG

Laureen S.
on 7/14/08 10:36 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Aww Geri,

Sorry to hear that you had to spend 8 hours in the er!  Don't have any answers to your question, but wanted to reach out and send you a cyber hug!  The water weight from the IV will be gone in a matter of days and I'll be interested to hear what comes of your question, as I never really gave the cali****upplements any thought before. . .

Feel better, cyber hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

EileenWalton
on 7/14/08 11:03 pm

Oh girl, I know exactly how you feel.  I've had two children and childbirth is less painful than kidney stones.  Hopefully all that excess fluid will help to pass it. 

Taking the calcium is scary.  I had one of my stones analyzed and it was 98% calcium (before WLS).  The doc said it was from all the Rolaids I took and put me on a different med.  I now feel like I'm a time bomb waiting for the next kidney stone attack.  I feel for you Geri, it's no fun.  Try to get some rest and hopefully pass that stone soon.  I hope they gave you some extra pain killers in case the stone becomes lodged again.  Keep us posted.

Eileen

Pam Hart
on 7/14/08 11:50 pm - Easton, PA

Geri,

Poor thing!  Kidney stones are soooo soooo bad - I really feel for you.  I'm surprised they are hoping you pass a 6.6 stone on your own.  If the pain is not controlled please go BACK to the ER (I know, not something anyone wants to do) for more dilaudid or whatever makes you comfortable and INSIST on being admitted and a urologist on consult.

The weight gain - I gained almost 10 pounds from IV fluids Friday into Saturday (I was 135.5 and when I got home I was 144) which as of today (plus 1/2 a pound) is all gone.  You need to up the fluid intake anyway to pass the stone - water water water and that will also help get rid of the retaining water you have from the sodium in the iv.

There was somebody else (I didn't read all the responses yet - so if that person already responded, I appologize) who had stones and it was a tricks and balance game of supplements and necessity for WLS patients.  However - when you pass the stone you will need to have it analyzed.  Speaking of which, please tell me the ER sent you home with a strainer?  If not - get one from your doctor or maybe even a drug store - that way when you pee you pee through that.   When you pass the stone, you will catch it.  Urologists can send it out to be tested in order to determine what it is made out of it.  Calcium is not the only culprit, although common.  There may be other dietary changes you can make to help that along.

Speak to your doctor, urologist, and maybe even your WLS doctor to find out the best tricks and balance for you.

Here's hoping you have no more pain!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
litlhurry
on 7/15/08 2:17 am - anytown, PA
Thanks everyone..years ago I had a stone analyzed as uric and a powder crushed it..they said calcium because my urine was full of it..no-they did not give me a strainer..I am just peeing into a tubby thing and looking! I have a urologist appt tomorrow. I have not taken any pain pills today but i have em and feel wiped out uggh........
Pam Hart
on 7/15/08 7:05 am - Easton, PA
*sigh*  I hate it when ERs don't send patients home with the right equipment - it's how we get a bad name!!  Be careful looking - those little things can be hard to spot - but 6.6 you should be able to see.  Hang in there and don't be a hero - if you have pain - take the meds immediately.  Kidney stone pain can be hard to "catch up" with if you know what I mean.....did they give you something for nausea as well?  Ya know what - don't answer that if it's a no.  LOL  Feel better!!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
litlhurry
on 7/15/08 8:39 am - anytown, PA
It's so comforting tohave our own lil nurse. How big is 6.6 anyway? I went back to the ER and got my strainer.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views