Incredible weekend and WOW moments! Long Post

jjs1981
on 7/14/08 9:14 am, edited 7/14/08 11:20 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA

Hey Folks,

I'm more of a lurker than real participant in the forums, although I do post once in a while, but I had a great experience this weekend that I wanted to share. My best friend got married on Saturday and I was the best man. He asked me to be his best man last October when I was still going through the motions and was still waiting for a surgery date. I got the call last November, on Veteran's Day and I had my RNY on 12/7/07, ironically, Pearl Harbor Day.  I was 282lbs. on 2/7/07 at my initial consult and 270 on surgery day and on Friday, 7/11/08, I weighed in at 180lbs. My highest weight is unknown, but I was a 46-48 waist at my consult and am now between a 32-34, although the tux pants were 36-38 and fit perfect. I am still losing weight and it's been a very stressfull few weeks. Besides all of my best man duties, speech, bachelor party, etc., I was very worried about the tux not fitting and ended up getting re-measured 2 weeks before the wedding. I ended up losing 3 inches from my hips, 1 inch from chest and 2 from around shoulders in 11 days and dropped from a 44 jacket to a 42, which ended up being a little big on the wedding day, but still looked good.

I had a lot of incredible moments this weekend. Most happened as people who I'd met once or twice before, or had seen pictures of me, didn't recognize me when I was introduced to them during the rehearsel or at the Wedding itself. The best was when the bride's mom who I met last year, and haven't seen since, said that she couldn't wait until I arrived so she could see how good I looked and I'd already been standing next to her for a while! I also met a few people at the wedding who had WLS and got to talk about our experiences and get and give advice and share some of the things that I've learned from these boards.

My friend put together a slide show on a digital picture frame at the wedding and included a picture of me, him and two other friends taken in Feb '06, when I was a lot heavier and when people found out that was me, they were floored. I actually didn't see or know about the picture until I was about to be introduced and walk into the reception. I told the groom that I couldn't believe he used that picture. He said it was the only one of us he had and thought I was pissed because it showed my pre-surgery weight, but I wasn't. That was me and I'm not ashamed of it. I called him out on it because of the rather crude pose and gesture we were making, but all was good.

I used this wedding as extra fuel and a reason to work hard and drop as much weight as possible to look the best I could and I think I did pretty well. At the end of my speech I thanked the bride and groom for all of their support and gave them the credit that they deserve for helping me achieve the level of success that I've attained. I was told that this caused some of the people who weren't already crying to shed some tears. Hell, I didn't think I'd make it through that last part without crying, but I was able to hold it together in the end. Thanks for reading and thanks for all of the help and support you have all given me though this journey to a thin and healthier life. JOE

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

Ready4 AChange
on 7/14/08 10:11 am - Upper Chichester, PA

You certainly deserve  Congratulations on a job well done.  I'm glad you had such a great time.

Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Pam Hart
on 7/14/08 10:40 am - Easton, PA

Joe,

That's an awesome story - thanks for sharing!!  Glad you had a great time!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/08 11:13 am

Wow...what a great story.  I love hearing about people's wow moments.  You are doing great!

Heather G

ronni5468
on 7/14/08 12:07 pm - West Middlesex , PA

Joe,

Wow.... That is great. Thanks for sharing. keep up the good work.

Ronni

Liz R.
on 7/14/08 8:28 pm - Easton, PA

Joe - fantastic story! You are doing a great job - keep up the hard work!

Liz

jjs1981
on 7/15/08 9:20 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
Liz,
Thanks for your reply. I see your from Easton. My friends, the bride and groom, live there now, but recently purchased a home at a development in the Freemansburg area and will be moving there in mid- September. I come up to visit them every 2-3 months and will be up there several times later this summmer to help paint the new house and help with the move. I'm not very familiar with the area, but where abouts are you located? They live on Ferry ST, near 7th.

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

Liz R.
on 7/15/08 9:45 pm - Easton, PA
I am about 5 miles south of the actual town of Easton, it is my mailing address though, technically I live in Raubsville which is 1/2 way between Reiglesville and Easton. I live just off of 611 (about 1/8 mile) on Raubsville Road.

We'll keep your eyes out, I'll be posting info about a support group at my house, maybe you'll be able to attend and visit your friends in 1 trip.

Liz
dit657
on 7/14/08 9:34 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Joe, we don't get enough WOW postings from the men out here, so I'm really glad you shared your story and felt so good about yourself at the wedding - you should have! You've worked hard and deserve it. I'm very happy for you - congratulations and continued successes! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
tammypa
on 7/14/08 10:05 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Joe, I have to agree with Kathy that the men do not share many of these moments. Your story was wonderful - it made my smile and want to cry at the same time. Congratulations on your success! Tammy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views