clear liquids vs. gas in the belly

rita61677
on 7/12/08 11:14 pm - Philadelphia, PA

OK so the topic might sound odd but I read on another post either on her or barix that if you do the clear liquids longer than the one day that dr. p recommends that they have to fill you wiht less gas????? anyone know if this is true... i have my pat's tomorrow so im gonna ask but i was curious now....

Pam Hart
on 7/12/08 11:19 pm - Easton, PA

If you do clears/fulls it helps to shrink your liver.  I'm not sure if they have to fill you with less gas, though.  Shrinking the liver leaves a little bit more room in there for the surgeon to maneuver.  I was on a basic full liquid diet for about 2 weeks - but not under surgeon's orders - rather I had gained weight from my initial consult and needed to get rid of it before surgery or Dr. P would cancel my surgery.  I did allow myself about 1 regular meal a day, but with good choices and low fat etc. 

Either way - you have gas pumped into your abdomen for the surgery and must walk walk walk to get it all out.

Good luck!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
rita61677
on 7/12/08 11:35 pm - Philadelphia, PA

thanks pam - i thought that sounded fishy. glad to have you back and feeling better!!!

jdruski
on 7/13/08 4:45 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Rita,

I am not a Barix graduate but my surgeon didn't require any diet before surgery.  The Nut simply said that what ever you ate the days before would be in your system for several days after the surgery.  I selected my surgeon because he did lap and that is what I wanted.  Well, I did the Last Supper on the Saturday before my surgery.  I was schedule for Wednesday morning but had to have a filter installed on Tuesday.  I ate lightly on Sunday and Monday.  Tuesday all I had was the hospital dinner and I picked at that.  RITA, KEN.  do lose as much as you can pre-op.  You are not in the same weight catagory as I was but do to me losing no weight prior, I had to have open surgery and as you both know the hell that I went through when I had this rounds of plastics and the hernia repair. 

Shrink your liver, even a ten pound loss in an extremely obese person like I was would have been an improvement and might have meant lap surgery for me.

Good luck tomorrow on your PATs.  Knock if you have any questions.

Jeanne

tracyb330
on 7/13/08 11:06 am - Temple, PA

Hi Rita,

Let me know what they say at your PAT's tomorrow. I just had mine on Thursday and Dr.Boe requires a 10 day liquid diet. I thought it was just to shrink our liver but if it means less gas then maybe I won't complain as much while I am drinking my protein shakes and eating my sugar free jello for 9 more days...lol.

Thanks!

5'9 and a size 6...I love my tool.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views