smells and hunger...

Gabi42
on 7/11/08 12:20 pm - conshohocken , PA

After WLS will smells provoke hunger?? I have WlS comming up 2 WEEKS  , but this morning.... i ate breakfast and 4 hrs later someone had some really good smelling food, i was  STARVING... so i was just wondering if that will (hopefully) go away???

dawn

I did order a book about, Head Hunger...i can't wait until it gets here...

lauraanne715
on 7/11/08 10:42 pm - Pottstown, PA

Hi there!!

I have to tell you in my experience anyway...even though the first three weeks are liquids...I was not hungry at all ever...my hubby had to remind me to sip and have jello.  Your hunger is not there.  Even now I am never hungry...I eat by the clock about every two to three hours.

As for the smells sometimes I was like "Ohhh yum..." but my tummy was like "Ohh nooo"  You can smell it but you are not hungry for food.  I think it is important to remember during those times when your head is trying to get over on your tummy that you have to follow the guidelines so you heal in the best possible way.  I think that is a good way to handle head hunger. 

I mean just yesterday my hubby ordered a pizza and while it looked good...I wasn't hungry and it was not time for me to eat yet and I certainly wouldn't eat it because it is not part of my guidelines and I know I need to make the choices that are going to help me heal.  Just keep in mind that you are doing this for you and your health and head hunger is not going to get in the way!

Good luck with your surgery! Keep us posted!!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

dit657
on 7/11/08 10:53 pm - Boothwyn, PA

Laura's right - the smells are much better than the thought of the food will taste. Sometimes smells can really play head games with you. Also don't be surprised if your actual tastes change from day to day - what tasted really good pre-op may taste nasty post-op - at least for a while. I was a huge ice water drinking pre-op - post-op I couldn't stomach it until about 2 months out. So be patient with your new stomach - its going to go thru a lot of changes with you. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Gail M.
on 7/11/08 11:24 pm - Scranton, PA

Gabi,

That's a tricky question.  Yes the smells do still make you think that you want it.  But the funny thing is that when you taste it, it doesn't have the same effect.  Example...someone at work had a breakfast Burrito and it smelled so good I thought I wanted it.  I bought one, had one bite, and threw it out.  It just didn't taste as good as the smell lead me to believe.

I find that much of the food I loved before WLS just doesn't taste as good as it used to.  I swear that somehow my taste buds were affected by the surgery.  As you progress, you will start sampling different things and you'll learn what you really like.

Gail

ronni5468
on 7/12/08 12:14 am - West Middlesex , PA

Hi! Dawn, congrats on your date. I was just saying to my hubby the other day. I fell like I'm just eating to eat like before surgurey.Because when I eat I'm not hungery. Everyone is right surgery dosn't change you sniffer,but it sure dose change you taste.  You will do just fine. Keep us posted.

Pam Hart
on 7/12/08 9:45 pm - Easton, PA

Head hunger is awful!!  I say this because your brain really really really wants that slice of pizza - and you believe you are "hungry" but you're really not!!  Everyone pretty much summed it up about tastes changing and what not.

I didn't have real hunger until probably 4 mos out or so - and even that is a different type of hunger than it was pre op.  I might say "I'm starving" yet a cheesestick will satisfy me which is awesome.

I did what I believe Laura said she did - I ate by the clock.  You kind of get used to that.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dennis Belk
on 7/12/08 10:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Dawn, welcome to the board. Everyone has answered with what is the general experience for most of us. I too was not hungry for 5-6 months after surgery. The change in your taste buds is significant but like many conditions after WLS, the lack of hunger and the taste thing are temporary. Once your body begins the mode of stabilizing these things will slowly return to some sense of normalcy. Like Pam mentions, your hunger will return but it will be a normal hunger where you just need a little fuel to run on, not a pizza pie. You may find that your sense of smell is heightened during this time and it may have you avoiding what used to be a pleasant aromas. For example the smell of sweet or oily or greasy may send you running way instead of running to them. I can tell you these conditions are helpful and will contribute to maximizing your weight loss in your first year or two. Beyond that your eating will change, it will increase slightly, your goals will change from someone who was high on losing every week to someone who needs to understand that I can't keep losing weight forever, not should you. At that stage you are into maintaining and keeping things as "normal" as they will ever be. As you approach your surgery keep in mind that this is a big thing to do and it has many stages and responsibilities. You do not have to tackle any of this alone and taking things one day at a time can get you through. Do the best you can today and always. You're gonna do great!

Dennis  

Gabi42
on 7/13/08 12:33 am - conshohocken , PA

thank you guys for all the answers...  all which a positive!  It's SO helpful to come here to the people who have done it.... and get answers!  I talk about this alot with family... and i get really negative stuff back...  I mean jokes,  "u are going to look like a lolly pop, with that big head"   i get "well don't get too thin" i can't take it anymore, i swear that i want to scream....  then i come here, and everyones heard it before.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views