Curves or something better?

mrsbrunell
on 7/11/08 5:34 am - Bensalem, PA
I have been walking around my neighborhood but I was thinking that it was time to step it up a bit so I went to Curves this morning and checked it out.  The workout seemed decent but I'm just hesitant about contracting for ANYTHING for 1 year.   Has anyone been successful with Curves or is there something better out there? Thanks! Tara

--Tara

dit657
on 7/11/08 5:41 am - Boothwyn, PA
I know people who have had good success at Curves, but you do hit a point there where its not going to help you anymore. I didn't think they had contracts, tho - not sure I'd sign on for a whole year. Are there any Plant Fitness places near you? They have no contracts and their monthly fee is $10! That way you can pick and choose what you want to do. Only other thing - you're pretty soon out from surgery, right? Make sure Dr P clears you for additional exercise before starting any program - walking is great right now - your body just went thru major surgery - be careful. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
mrsbrunell
on 7/11/08 5:46 am - Bensalem, PA

Thanks Kathy! I'm not aware of a Planet Fitness around here.  There is a Lucille Roberts around the corner but I don't really know anything about them and their website didn't provide a lot of information either. 

I just saw Dr. P on Tuesday and she said I was doing great and that I should get busy so that's what I'm doing...just not sure where to get started :) 

--Tara

dit657
on 7/11/08 5:53 am - Boothwyn, PA
Planet Fitness is relatively new so not sure where they are or how many. Lucille Roberts is an all woman fitness center but I'm sure they require a contract and may not be cheap. Try Curves if its in your budget - probably a great place to start. I could never do Curves because I have bi-lateral knee replacements and the walking/jogging in place between machines was too hard on them. Glad Dr P gave you the go ahead, but check them all out - do a google search on fitness clubs in your area - there are a lot of Curves knock-offs out there that may be cheaper or not require a contract. Good luck on  your search! Kathy

dit657
on 7/11/08 5:55 am - Boothwyn, PA
There are Planet Fitness ctrs in Langhorne, Trevose and Warminster. Any of those close to you? they have a huge website if any of those would work for you.

Patricia R.
on 7/11/08 7:27 am - Perry, MI
There is a Planet Fitness in Langhorne Square Shopping Center, next to Redners Warehouse Market, near The Dump, across from Lowe's on Route One.  That is not far from Bensalem.
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Gail M.
on 7/11/08 9:49 am - Scranton, PA
Kathy,    We have a new Planet Fitness that is just opening near us.  I was thinking of checking it out.  Do you belong to one?  How is it? Gail

dit657
on 7/13/08 9:33 pm - Boothwyn, PA

Hi Gail - no, I don't belong to a Planet Fitness - there isn't one close to my house. But looking at the other posts on here and from friends I know who go there everybody really likes it and its very inexpensive. I think they open early, too, if you're a morning person. I belong to a smaller private fitness center that I really like - its only about 5 minutes from my house and has a large range of age groups and sizes. I belonged to an LA Fitness for a short time and it felt like a meat market. Ugh. If there's a Planet Fitness near you its probably worth checking out - good luck! Kathy

kimmiep621
on 7/11/08 7:21 am

i did the 30 min work out thing before and i hated it.  i use la fitness now but changing over to planet fitness,  there is one that is right next to redners in langhorne its where the chuck e cheese is

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

Shannon O.
on 7/11/08 11:40 am - Reading, PA
with curves circut training it will quit working for you after a month because you can't add weight to what you are doing so you will stall... And you don't want that... plus you don't do cardio and weights at the same time... you warm up... do weights and then cardio... so that way you burn through the carbs during the weights... then burn fat during the cardio...

I don't know what is in your area... but see if you can find a gym that has a little of everything, classes, cardio area, weights, a pool, etc... that way you can change it up... but I think having a year long contrat will keep you acutable for yourself... it also helps to have a workout buddy, a trainer, someone to make sure you go... you know someone to nag at ya when you are bone tired but you know you gotta move that butt lol... my hubby is good at naggy...

I belong to the Gold's gym in my area... and I love it... but you need to find what will work for YOU... that is the most important thing... so pull out the phone book and see what is around and ask for tours at all the places and ask for a free training session with the trainer (that way you can learn for free... and ask each trainer for something different mahahaha)...

But, I am off to keep a toddler in their new toddler bed... ack talk about a workout lol...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views