Cheap (or cheaper) wireless internet access??

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/08 12:51 am
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper internet service in Chester County?  I had FIOS and loved it, but can't get it at the house I will be moving to in the fall...they don't have it out there yet.  I have Comcast now and hate it...I have more problems with it and for the money I am paying there shouldnt be any issues.  I have a lap top but will NOT have a desk top in that house and I want my lap top to be wireless.  As computer savy as I am, I am having a hell of a time figuring out what services are out there that wont rake me over the coals, but will give me good service.  Can any internet service be hooked up as wireless?   Thanks! Heather G
dit657
on 7/11/08 1:40 am - Boothwyn, PA
Sorry - no help on this one...hubby is home today hooking up (hopefully) our wireless internet - we have Comcast too. Maybe check some place like Best Buy - they might know. Good luck with that - we have to have our internet! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Melanie B.
on 7/11/08 2:06 am - Doylestown, PA
I'm glad you like FIOS, because I HATE THEIR GUTS (oops did i say that in my big girl voice) good luck trying to disconnect your FIOS service BTW, Document everything and be on the look out for penalties and bills and all that fun stuff for weeks, months and years to come.

Currently we are living with, no TV, no Phone and no internet thanks to the morons at Verizon. (6 days as of today)

I am now trying to get Comcast but that's like pulling teeth as well since our home was never wired for cable (imagine that) and Comcast doesnt even show our address in their database. So we are hoping against hope that comcast will complete their pre-work and get us loaded into their system by early next week.

I do know that Dish Network also has TV, Internet and Phone but not in all areas.

Quite frankly, I'm pleased thus far with the effort that comcast is putting forth, even though i know in the past they've been a nightmare as well in the customer service department.

good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/08 2:12 am
Thats funny....you hate FIOS as much as I hate Comcast...and AOL.  AOL was horrendous...rude...rediculous...when I tried to cancel them.  The guy even told me if I was going to be too lazy to stick around, he guessed he would disconnect me now.  I wrote a letter of complaint and never heard a thing from AOL.  FIOS on the other hand was a dream.  Nice as could be, easy to get installed and never gave me a problem diconnecting.  I will say comcast has gotten better with their customer service since I had them a few years ago.  they were horrible then so i switched to Dish network.  Getting rid of the dish and the fios were big mistakes...but I got talked into switching over to all comcast and have regreted it.  Now I have the opportunity to make a change and I am weighing my options.   I forgot about dish having all the services...I will check them out and maybe go with them in the new house...thanks! HG
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/11/08 1:38 pm
I have verizon broadband.  Its a portable wand type device that makes any computer wireless.  You only need to install the software on the computer you are using and must have a slot for the wand.  It costs 60.00/month with unlimited use.  I haven't had any problems getting a signal, basically if your cell works in an area the wand will too.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 7/12/08 9:51 pm - Easton, PA

I believe (although me and this subject do not get along) if your lap top is able to be wireless all internet providers can be made wireless.  You can buy a wireless router from like Best Buy or whatever...that gets plugged into your internet router - and there you go.  I would assume there are things to upgrade lap tops to be wirelss - like the thing nan was talking about.  I will talk to hubby about it when he gets up and see what he says as this is his department, I'm ashamed to say!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/08 12:10 am

Thanks Pam.  I am already wireless (andy had the desktop that was plugged into the cable)....I have the router.  I didn't realize any provider could be wireless though...good to know.  I like being able to carry my computer to any room in the house or out on the deck so I didn't want to loose that when I changed providers.  I may end up going with verizon DSL (I think thats what its  called) because I wont be able to get fios there...which i loved... but my cell is verizon and I think i can get a package deal. 

Glad to see you home and posting!!

HG

Pam Hart
on 7/13/08 1:19 am - Easton, PA

We have verizon DSL as fios isn't available here yet either.  We have one computer hooked up to the desk (it's actually a lap top but we use it as a desk top) and then both Brian and I are lap tops wireless.   Mine is kept on the kitchen table as is connected all the time and his he tools around with as needed.  I could do that with mine, too - but I just keep it open on the table and go back and forth to it all day as I am wandering around the house.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/08 10:42 am

Well..the desk top is gone and my lap top is working wireless, so I guess I am good to go.  The wonders of modern technology LOL  Thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views