dumb question?

sbrunell
on 7/10/08 12:07 pm - Bensalem, PA
They say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...I guess I will put this to the test. I bought a whole bunch of protein bars last nite. They had 15 grams of Protein, and what I thought was 2 g of sugar....and had on for breakfast. However, my wife just looked at them...and it was 2 g...it's 12, and sugar is the #2 ingredient. But I didn't get sick or anything. Should I be concerned? I like the fact that I could get violently ill if I don't follow the rules. It makes me walk the straight and narrow.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Laureen S.
on 7/10/08 12:18 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
I would be grateful that you got away without dumping. . .  that might not be the case with the next one, as our bodies can react or not any given time. . .  labels, labels, labels read 'em close or it can cost you. . . I buy Pure Protein bars, you can get them at Target, most have 19/20 grams of protein, can't remember how much sugars, but not a lot.  They are reasonably priced.  But Dr. P prefers us to get our protein through eating food, she told me a bar once in a while was ok, but they are hard on the stomach.  Another good thing are the Chike's that you can get at Barix, if you add skim milk, I think it's like 33 grams of protein, very low sugars, etc., of course not cheap, but for the occasional on the go, easy to bring with, etc. Take care, Laureen 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 7/10/08 7:08 pm - Easton, PA
Well you are lucky that you didn't dump for now. As Andy will tell you he never dumped - he's two years out - and now suddenly has started dumping. Get rid of them, if there's 12 gm of sugar in it and it's the second ingredient it's no good for you anyway and you don't need it in your body. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/10/08 9:49 pm

I agree with Pam, get rid of them.  Even if you don't dump on them, don't start a habit or addiction you may find yourself having to break.

You can buy a 6 pack of America's Best Pure Protein Bars at Walmart for $5.95, or a 15 pack at Sam's or BJ's for $14.95. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 10:42 pm - Eastern, PA
Feed them all to the dog at once and see how long it takes him to get the green apple splatters.
dit657
on 7/10/08 11:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
See Steve - no such thing as a dumb question! I would have to agree with the others - throw them out - take the $$ loss and let it go. There are tons of protein bars out there with 2 g of sugar or less. I keep them on hand for times when I don't have time for a meal or don't have a good plan set. Its easy to mistake the numbers sometimes because they're so small - heck, I picked up a can of Planters new digestive nut mix at Target the other day - could have sworn the label said 1 g of sugar per serving - got it back to work and it was 11 g of sugar per serving, so they went home to my family. What's that old carpentry saying 'measure twice,cut one' - guess that applies to us, too - 'read twice, dump once'?! Anyway, glad you didn't get sick, but you definitely don't need all that sugar, and if the Mrs picks one up by mistake when she's on solids and dumps that probably wouldn't be a good thing for you!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
DebiMcK23
on 7/11/08 12:15 am - Aston, PA
Where did you purchase the protein bars.  Do you think you could take them back to the store and trade them for another type of protein bar?

303/197/153

sbrunell
on 7/11/08 2:15 am - Bensalem, PA
I felt compelled to jump back in here....The header showed the following:
View Replies
6 66

I felt obligated to get rid of the 666.

Anyway, I got them at Giant, so I can take them back. if the fight about it, I only spent $7, so it's not the end of the world.

My concern was more, is there something wrong w/ me that I didn't dump....I want to pay for doing something wrong.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views