All liquid, possible problem

sbrunell
on 7/9/08 4:28 am - Bensalem, PA
Someone I know is on all liquids still. She did a little cheating and ate some runny refried beans. I know the all liquid was a struggle for me, so I understand. She has had some stomach pain, and has called the surgeon. Some times it lasts in excess of 30 minutes, sometimes even hours.   Since her refried beans, she has felt bad. Her stomach is tender at the last incision and hurts just above the belly button. It is painful to walk now because she feels a lot of pressure just above her belly button. She has had 2 loose movements today. She's already taken Gas-X two times. Please don't say stick w/ the diet, because she already knows. She knows she broke the rules, but if there is any other advice, it would be appreciated.
Laureen S.
on 7/9/08 4:42 am - Maple Shade, NJ
She should call her surgeon's office ASAP and ask them what, if anything it could be, depending on how early out she is, it could be serious. . .  the rules are in place for a reason, hope she will be fine. Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/08 4:44 am - Eastern, PA
Liquid Tylenol may help the pain. I doubt the beans are the trigger for longer-lasting pain, although it all depends on how far out from surgery she is. I'd be even less concerned considering she is able to move her bowels. That said, follow the flipping rules. They're in place for a reason. Non-compliance at this early stage is quite frankly, a disturbing signal. I'd strongly suggest this person get active in a support group and consider seeing a therapist who deals with food-related issues.
dit657
on 7/9/08 5:17 am - Boothwyn, PA
I don't normally offer counter-advice to what anyone else has offered, but in this case I need to put in my 2 cents on what Norm recommended - the liquid Tylenol. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT - especially this early out. Some forms of liquid Tylenol are LOADED with sugar - trust me, I learned that the hard way. At 2 weeks post op I had severe back pain and instead of taking the prescription meds I decided to take the liquid Tylenol since I had to see Dr Boe that afternoon - I had a major dumping episode from it. Your 'friend' may not dump - I don't know - but I took the recommended little cup full and was sicker than I've ever been. I hope she's feeling better soon.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 7/9/08 10:21 am - Easton, PA
Steve, Also got your PM I don't know when she had the refried beans - but am under the impression that the pain has lasted much longer than that from your post.  I'm glad she called the surgeon - what did they have to say? I'm thinking the pain could be the returning of the pain from the deep incision from where you are describing it.  My burning pain was there for about 2 weeks, went away for a few days, and then returned with a vegence - to the point where standing hurt.  Gina had some problems with the pain more towards the left side as well. People have dumped from the liquid tylenol - as Kathy said - I personally have not.  If she's taken it before without any issues, I would definately suggest that. The loose BM is probably from the lack of solid protein she is having right now.  What you put in is what you get out. Let us know what happens. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views