5 weeks out with problems

Trish060208
on 7/9/08 3:43 am - Selinsgrove, PA
I am 5 weeks out from open RNY.  I had no problems with the surgery or healing.  I have lost 25 lbs since surgery.  I am currently on liquids plus eggs as my diet, however last weekend I discovered that I am able to eat a lot more without dumping.  I am extremely upset about this.  Not that I wanted to dump, but at least doing that would definitely keep me from trying things that I should not be eating yet.  I'm trying extremely hard to continue to eat only what my nut is allowing, but now it just doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm not overeatting by any means, however I am eating more that the amount that I should be at this time.  And I am trying to eat healthier protein items, and are chewing everything to an applesauce consistency, but still feeling like a failure.  I've put my body through all this to have this tool to help me become a healthier person, and now I feel like it isn't working.  I feel like I am the first person in the history of gastric bypass that will fail and not lose the weight.  Help!!! What can I do?
Trish
ladychief231
on 7/9/08 6:25 am - Douglassville, PA
You may want to post what you are eating so we can give you feedback. If you are on liquids you probably are not eating too much. When you say I'm trying extremely hard to continue to eat only what my nut is allowing, but now it just doesn't seem to be enough  are you feeling hungry or just not satisfied? Give us a little more infomation and I'm sure you will get a lot of support. Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Trish060208
on 7/9/08 6:41 am - Selinsgrove, PA

Daily Menu: B: 1/2 c Protein Drink S: 1/2 c Protein Drink L: 1/2 c Protein Drink S: 4 oz low-fat yogurt D: 1/2 c cream soup or 1/2 c egg substitute ****asionally with 1 slice ff cheese) S: 1/2 c skim milk This is my normal daily menu and what I'm supposed to be eating according to my nut.  But lately I'm feeling unsatisfied.  And last weekend, I ate 1/4 of a hamburger at one meal and 4 chicken nuggets at another.  Neither of which made me sick or even nauseous.  And since then, I've been adding a extra piece of cheese at Dinner or maybe a piece of lunch meat.  Also, my weight loss for the first month was really good, but now it seems to be stopping.  I haven't lost anything in the last week.  My next appointment is not until the end of July.  I'm truly looking for some suggestions on what I can do to start losing again.  Any suggestions?

Trish
Shannon O.
on 7/9/08 7:03 am - Reading, PA
BTW- those things that you "added" extra to your diet could be high in salt and you are holding in extra water... so maybe you need to drink extra water...

But call your nut and tell her you need a change of pace... and maybe she can give you a new recipe to try...

Shannon O.
on 7/9/08 7:01 am - Reading, PA
ok first off do this...

Not sure if you have these on hand but get some toddler size bowls and spoons... measure out what you are allowed to eat and then eat out of that bowl with that spoon... you have to retrain your brain to realize what is the right size for you...

Then once you go back to work (if you are) look for a local Pampered Chef demo. They have prep bowls that have measurements on the size (1/4 cup up to a cup) and plastic lids. They are glass so they can be nuked etc...

And relax... we won't let you fail... also once you are allowed to work out do you have a gym? a workout buddy? a trainer? Having someone to help you stay accountable is a great way not to screw up in the long run!

Oh if you are visual person... buy some undies in a much smaller size and mount them to the wall (via tape or whatever) so you see them every day...

rivardstarr
on 7/9/08 9:32 am - phoenixville, PA
Trish, You need to touch base with your nut. The amount of food that you are ingesting isn't too much, but it sounds to me like you need some more choices. Pureed soups like bean with bacon was very filling for me. Hang in there. All of us have had weeks where we didn't lose weight. This is often just your body making adjustments to the new you, so soon after surgery. Take your body measurements, then you can see the changes in inches, even if the scale isn't moving. Chris
Pam Hart
on 7/9/08 10:41 am - Easton, PA
Based on your menu you wouldn't "dump" anyway.  Dumping is a metabolic condition that happens from ingesting to much fat or two much sugar (sugar for most people)  Unless you are adding spoonfuls of sugar to your protein shakes, you wouldn't dump on it regardless.  Dumping involves basically having your blood sugar plummet from a reaction of the sugar you put into your system and to much insulin being released. What you really have to figure out is if you are "not satisfied" or having head hunger.  When you want more - are you physically hungry or do you just want some real damn food?  I know the feeling - we all do - we all have been there. You may be ready for some soups blended and strained.  Ask your nut, but you should be allowed at this point to have low fat cream of whatever soups (chicken, broccoli although that might be gassy, etc)  Also, again - every doctor and nut differs - at five weeks out I was allowed to have "soft foods" such as eggs (which I know you are on), ground lean meat, cheese sticks, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese.  You are probably ready for that. You are hitting a stall.  Most people find that between weeks 3-7 somewhere in that they stop losing weight.  It's perfectly normal.  Your body has finally figured out "hey, I'm not getting the calories I used to - so I must be starving - and if I'm in a starving situation, I better hold onto what I have in order to survive"  The thing is - your body can't win if you continue to follow the rules.  You need to work the program and your body will follow suit.  It might take 3 weeks - which is extremely frustrating.  Get rid of the scale.  Many of us will say that.  It is simply a torture device in order to make us feel like failures.  If you haven't already take measurements now and once a month.  You will be surprised that even during stalls your measurments will go down. Make sure you are getting fluids in - and exercise if cleared by your MD.  You should at least be allowed to be walking at this point (I personally was allowed to go back to the gym, no lifting, at 2 weeks out) Keep the body guessing. Don't doubt yourself, don't doubt your surgery, don't doubt your rules.  On days where you really want that pizza or hamburger or whatever remind yourself that this is the time for you - that you DESERVE to allow your body to heal properly - and that it is just food and you will be ok.  Literally - you have the rest of your life to eat.  You don't need that right now. The thing is getting your mind to believe that. Post often! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views