Checking up with your PCP

Donna_in_PA
on 7/9/08 2:02 am - Lansdale, PA
I'm a little over 4 months out from laproscopic gastric bypass surgery and I'm doing ok.   I don't have any real issues, don't feel like I'm deficit in vitamins (although I'm experiencing some hair loss which is normal) - my question is... when is it a good time to get a complete check-up by your primary physician?  I want to be sure I'm not lacking in anything - however I'm not sure if it's too early to go - or if I should have gone already.... Any thoughts?  I know everyone is different..... Thanks!

Donna

Liz R.
on 7/9/08 3:35 am - Easton, PA
Donna, Your surgeon should be ordering a full line up of blood work to test for all vitamins and minerals as well as white/red blood counts and blood protein levels at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and a year - then yearly there after. Unfortunately you might not "feel" all vitamin deficiencies until it is too late. IF you are to follow up with the PCP and not the surgeon, call your surgeon and ask him for a list of reccomended blood tests that you should get - there is a laundry list of them! Best of Luck! Liz
jdruski
on 7/9/08 3:37 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Donna, I had my surgery at PA Hospital.  My Gastric surgeon suggested that I see my PCP within 2 months.  I also had my blood work done at that time.  As you said all of us are different but one similarity I have found is that most PCP are not as familiar with our changed bodies as they should be.  Because of my tendency to be anemic I get blood work done every 4 months.  I think once you go to your PCP you can discuss with him/her a schedule that is comfortable to you. Jeanne
Donna_in_PA
on 7/9/08 3:52 am - Lansdale, PA
Thanks Jeanne - I have my 6-month appointment with my surgeon and at that time, I will ask him to provide a list of things my PCP should be looking at, and then go to my PCP to get the bloodwork, testing, etc. done. I understand what you mean about the PCPs not being familiar with the surgery.  I'm a little concerned with that myself - but I guess I'll cross that bridge once I get there. I appreciate your help.

Donna

Shannon O.
on 7/9/08 7:08 am - Reading, PA
I don't let my PCP have a say in my gastric bypass follow up... he isn't a doc that did the surgery... so why let him deal with any of it... don't let him do any of that girly stuff... that is why I have a OBGYN... hehehe... all he has is the list of meds I can't have and that is it... but he is also one of those guys that thinks he knows it all in all areas of med. so I don't let him play that game with me hehehehe!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views