short on protein- advice requested

sbrunell
on 7/8/08 1:44 pm - Bensalem, PA
I woke up late this morning....and had to run out to take my daughter to the dr. She had an ear infection...and by the time I got her script filled...it was lunch time....so i was down 1 snack, and breakfast. I ate lunch at Barix, since the Mrs had her 2 week follow up, I tagged along.

But at dinner, it dawned on me how behind on Protein I was.

So I made sure I ate all my chicken (2oz), but should have stopped sooner.....but didn't.

So we went for our evening walk, and I stopped three times with the foamies. I felt terrible for about 2 hours after dinner....

I realize I suffered for overeating....but what do you do when you are behind like that....

In the end, I grabbed a New Whey, and drank it down for a quick 42g. However, as of right now, I am at 87 g, short of my 99g goal.

I know the 12 g isn't going to kill me, but I really strive to make my number, and I was on pace to do only about 45g.

Thanks,
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Dennis Belk
on 7/8/08 3:25 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Steve, You can never forsee emergencies coming up like your little one getting sick, but you can try to keep snacks in the car for emergencies or just in case. If there are protein bars you like keep them around, in the car and at home. Or try to have a small lunch bag or box with an ice pack around and keep a protein shake in it or some string cheese, or yogurt. Just stock it with the protein items you like. Many of us plan these things out everyday so where ever we go, whatever we do we're not caught behind. As you might have heard from some of us, "Failure to plan is planning to fail". So do your best, but if you find yourself behind again don't stress over it, just try to start off better the next day and get to your goal. 12g of protein lost in a day is not going to ruin you progress. Try to plan as best you can and keep moving forward. Tomorrow will always hold another opportunity to do better than today.

"Remember Lap-Band & RNY vets that newbies are one of our needed resources, they remind us how it was and that we should never forget from where we came."

Dennis
358/345/215 ---- consultation/discharge/current
Patricia R.
on 7/8/08 7:55 pm - Perry, MI
I was going to recommend what Dennis said.  Protein bars for on the run protein are great.  I keep them in my totebags I use for work.  I also keep cheesesticks on my fridge door for on the run protein for breakfast when I am running late.  Another suggestion is hard boiled eggs done in advance.  I also keep nuts in a ziploc bag in my purse for such emergencies.  Every little bit helps make goal.  Another on the go protein for me is yogurt.  I use Dannon Lite and Fit yogurts, and take them to work for snacks.  Keep plasticware in your kitchen, and use a cooler lunch bag with a freezer thingy. Hope this helps. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Liz R.
on 7/8/08 8:43 pm - Easton, PA
Steve - Great suggestions from Dennis & Trish, I just have one to add - I keep beef jerky in a ziplock in the console of my car - since it will virtually never go bad it is right there for when I need it. I have found that I need to dig into it driving home some nights if I get stuck in traffic. Careful with what you are eating this early out - chicken may not have only given you the foamies because you ate too much but it also used to get me real bad if it was dry - as a matter of fact... it STILL gets me if it is dry! Best of luck and remember just because things weren't perfect yesterday - today is a brand new day and you will do great! Liz
Pam Hart
on 7/8/08 10:21 pm - Easton, PA
Steve, Everything everyone already said.  I no longer leave the house without my cooler bag.  I keep my greek yogurts/ricotta cheese/meats prepacked in little lunch containers in the fridge the day I bring them home.  Then, whenever I leave the house, I throw a few things in with a few bottles of water and an ice pack and off I go.  There have been multiple times my day has not gone according to plan and I have found myself needing one or some of the items.  I also try to keep a protein bar in my purse and also in my locker at work for nights when I don't have time to eat what I have packed or "in case of emergency" type things. You're right - a day or two won't kill you - and you realize you need to plan for these things - but you'll get through! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views