Update on Me.... this is gonna be LONG

Liz R.
on 7/1/08 9:03 pm - Easton, PA
Good Morning all! After reading Pam's wonderful post about life and food demons I decided to share my story. The last few months have been chaos. On March 31st my mom was diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer. She has been undergoing chemo and radiation treatments and to say the least they are hitting her HARD. Thank God they are over now and we are prepping for sugery mid-august. Needless to say as an only child I have taken on many of her household responsibilities. Well then strike 2 my Uncle received the wonderful gift of a kidney from his brother in september of 2006. He was also gifted a pancreas for Christmas 2007 well the pancreas through a long and painful process rejected and was removed about a month ago - he has been very frail and recovering slowly. Sound like enough... no it keeps coming... I have a back injury which I am nursing, painfully and slowly. Yep... still more...June 13th I get a phone call at work that my Grandmother (dad's mom) is in a state of heart failure and isn't expected to make it though the weekend, we are told to get there immediately. So I make the 3-1/2 hour trip from work to the wilds of NE PA where I spend the weekend in a hospital sitting in ICU with my Grandmother struggling to breathe. She is one tough old lady and is still holding on, she is home now but it is still day to day, her heart is failing and there is fluid around her lungs. Brief interlude - I have a WONDERFUL week down the shore in Wildwood with my family! YEp.... another one... Saturday June 28th I am driving home from teh shore and get a call that my Grandfather (mom's dad) has a heart rate of 36 and is in the ER waiting for a temporary pacemaker to be installed and a permanent one on monday. This all went fine and the heart rate was regulated. Last night I get the call that he is being trasferred to a bigger hospital and this morning is having heart bypass surgery and possibly an aortic valve replacement. OK now that you have the long version this relates to my WLS because I am trying to eat the best that I can but am not always succeeding. I am struggling every day and am an emotional MESS! My hubby has been there silently supporting, almost from a distance. I have the most amazing family ever and we are as close as a family can be. But I still feel lost and alone much of the time. Work is overwhelming. I thogught that vacation would help but I am not sure that it did - only when I was there, I came back and the stress level is right back. I am one strong person if I do say so myself and will pull through this - but it is going to be a bumpy road. Sorry to rant and spill all this out there - but you guys are my friends and somehow I thought that just posting this will make me feel better. Granted I cried with each new paragraph realizing that so many of the most important people in my life are in such serious situations. Thanks for reading the novel I typed Liz
ktreavis
on 7/1/08 9:09 pm - PA
I think as women we may always be stressed out, sometimes I feel like I can't handle another thing, but you came to the right place for support. I will be thinking of you. - Katie

Progress not perfection

Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 9:15 pm - Easton, PA
Liz, You write all the novels you need to - that's what we are here for!! I'm sorry for everything you are going through - and all your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs and prayers, Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
bubble273
on 7/1/08 10:10 pm - Levittown, PA

Wow, Liz, I thought I had gone through some stuff, but I think you've got me beat!!  I'm sooooooo sorry you have to be going through all of this.  And I know how hard it is emotionally.  Stay strong like you're doing, say lots of prayers and just keep the faith.  Everything will work out for you and you'll be okay.  I wish all the best for all of your family members and pray that they will be okay.

Take good care and keep your chin up.

Karen

Laureen S.
on 7/1/08 10:42 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Liz, Sorry to hear of all the stresses you are experiencing these last few months, as you expressed and acknowledged you are one strong woman and I pray that you continue to find the strength to continue this marathon of dealing with family situations!   Just do the best you can to take care of you and I am sending out prayers and positive thoughts for you to get through whatever comes along and hopefully, it will be better things soon!! Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

EileenWalton
on 7/1/08 10:44 pm
Wow, you really do have a lot going on right now.  But I am a firm believer that God never gives us more than we can handle.   You are very fortunate to have such a close, loving family.  Enjoy every moment that you can with them, and remember that we will be here to help you get through the tough times.
Eileen

dit657
on 7/1/08 10:50 pm - Boothwyn, PA
You are an amazing woman, Liz - all I can think of is your smiling face at the pilgrimage and how hard you worked and its amazing to me now all you were going thru in your personal life at that time (and now) and are still able to go on and keep doing things. Its a testiment to your overall health and well-being. Bumpy roads eventually smooth out - I'm praying now that your ride doesn't get any tougher than it has been. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 7/1/08 10:51 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks everyone! I will try my best. I do feel as though I am being tested here... My mom just called to say that they are deciding now if my grandfather is going to have surgery today or tomorrow, today might just be a meeting/test/planning day. Thanks again Liz
Mary Benford
on 7/1/08 10:56 pm - Emmaus, PA
Liz, Norm and I will be keeping you in our thoughts.   This too shall pass my dear, and you'll pull through this. We're all here for you!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Liz R.
on 7/1/08 11:09 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Kathy , Mary & Norm. Mary - you look fantastic by the way!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views