Severely Anemic.....need iron transfusion ASAP

Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 8:34 pm - Easton, PA
Hey darlin, I'm just curious as to what your "H and H" is (Hemoglobin and Hematocrit) to see if you need more than an iron transfusion, but rather, a blood transfusion. I hope you do well encorporating red meat.  My iron level was just barely low (by like 2 points) and she told me to eat more red meat as well.  That was at my 3 mos appointment.  I did encorporate more red meat - and it came up a bit.   Chilli is a fantastic idea - and Miss Shannon over here is such a wealth of information. I'm sure you are aware - just be careful with the green leafys with your coumadin.  You can have some just don't "OD" on the stuff. Let us know what happens, and please take care of yourself! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dolores O.
on 7/2/08 7:17 am

Hi Pam,

I have my results here.

My Hemoglobin is 9.7 Hematocrit is 30.8 I got the impression it might be either a blood or iron transfusion.  I have an appointment Monday with the hematologist since Dr P told me to see him and let him make the determination. She and my primary are worried about my test results. 

Dolores~

rivardstarr
on 7/2/08 3:57 am - phoenixville, PA
If you can eat meat, you can eat liver. While high in cholesterol, a weekly serving or 2 shouldn't impact your cholesterol levels if you are making good choices, eating a low fat diet. I hope you feel better soon. Chris
Dolores O.
on 7/2/08 7:23 am
Thanks Chris. Im confused on this whole cholesterol thingie. I have been eating lowfat.  Everything is basically turkey based unless I eat chili. I will let you all know what DrP says tomorrow when I see her and when I see my hematologist Monday. I also have an ultrasound on my thyroid tomorrow.  The primary is concerned about it feeling "nodule?"

Dolores~

Pam Hart
on 7/2/08 7:29 am - Easton, PA
I had a similar problem with my thyroid.  Do you have a thyroid problem that you know of?  I have an underactive thyroid - and they were concerned I had a growth, tumor, or nodule (any of the three) on it. In my case, it turned out simply to be enlarged due to the underactivity (it was working really hard to get my levels to where they were, and that wasn't high enough.  Kind of like how muscle "bulks" up due to exercise/weight lifting type principal) The H/H isn't all that bad - but is low.  We normally do an emergency blood transfusion for a hemoglobin of less than 9 - considering your iron level is low as well, it wouldn't surprise me if you got a blood transfusion as opposed to just iron. Good luck at the doctors on Monday and the US tomorrow. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views