Severely Anemic.....need iron transfusion ASAP

Dolores O.
on 7/1/08 2:31 am
I now know the cause of my TIREDNESS, STRUGGLE TO CATCH MY BREATH, RAPID HEARTBEAT, etc!!!!  I am SEVERLY ANEMIC. Dr P wants me to call my hemotologist to see if he wants me to get an Iron Transfusion immediately. My level is 17 (If you need further details I can post it here)...and my PCP and Dr P are concerned. Also my protein levels are low...and I get over 75g a day.   So I will be forcing more protein down my throat I guess in protein drinks (3 a day). She recommended eating red meat (I do not eat red meat...maybe once every 3-4 months)...but I do love chili (she recommended it), beef stew, meatloaf....but I have a question... How far out do I need to be in order to eat liver?  I love liver and I know it helps replenish iron stores pretty quickly.

Dolores~

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/1/08 3:04 am

Liver is extremely high in cholesterol.  No one ever suggested I get a transfusion, my Iron count is 12.5 -15.5, it fluctuates. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

sbrunell
on 7/1/08 3:06 am - Bensalem, PA
Laureen S.
on 7/1/08 3:20 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Dolores, I have had anemia before, requiring a blood transfusion, though it was pre hysterectomy.  Going into surgery, I was worried about that, as some people experience anemia after having the surgery, my count dropped a little the first 2 labs, and like you, I don't eat much red meat, though I just can't tolerate it since surgery, so I asked Dr. P about liver, as I also love it, she said most people here don't like it, but if I do, to go ahead and have it, that includes chicken liver.  Unless your cholesteral is way high and your primary advises against it, try having it once or 2x a week, also, I have an egg white omlete at least 3x a week with lots of fresh spinach mixed into it, also some lowfat cheese to up the protein, I eat half for breakfast and then 30 seconds in the microwave for snack. . .   Take care and good luck, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

magenta40
on 7/1/08 4:28 am - PA
Another good tip is to cook whatever you are eating in a cast iron pan or pot.   Abby

Shannon O.
on 7/1/08 5:06 am - Reading, PA
Here is my super easy Chili recipe...

2 pounds of 97% lean ground beef
1 can of reduce salt & fat beef broth (normal size can)
1 can of fire roasted tomatos (hunts has these with no sugar in them)- add 2 cans if you really like tomatos
1 can of chili spiced beans (read the label some are high in sugar some aren't... i get one that has a white label)
1 small sweet onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp of olive oil
chili powder and black pepper to taste

Toss onions and garlic in a food proccessor or magic bullet... then toss mixture into a non stick sauce pan (don't have to use as much oil) and saute the mixture until they are getting a little crunchy (not burnt) then add in the beef... as it starts to cook slowly add in the beef broth... it will make the meat soft... until the whole can is in... then add in the chili spiced beans and then the tomatoes... simmer for about 10 mins then check taste... if you want more kick add more chili powder and black pepper... even hot sauce if you want... simmer for another 10 mins and eat up...

We add ff sour cream and reduce fat cheese to ours... this also freezes really well and reheats awesome the next few days as well...

If you like you can add green and red peppers etc... but I try not to add any more veggies to it or else I will kill people from the gas... and the beans aren't what do it lol...

But hang in there!!! I hope you get fixed up soon...

Shannon O.
on 7/1/08 5:11 am - Reading, PA

I just did a web search on ask.com and found this... iron rich foods...

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html Some Good Sources Foods Rich in Iron* (Dietary Iron) are:

List of Grains Rich in Iron:                    Iron (mg.) Brown rice, 1 cup cooked 0.8 Whole wheat bread, 1 slice 0.9 Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons 1.1 English Muffin, 1 plain 1.4 Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked 1.6 Total cereal, 1 ounce 18.0 Cream of Wheat, 1 cup 10.0 Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch       1.9 Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked 2.0 Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup 6.3

List of Iron Rich Legumes, Seeds, and Soy:    Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce 1.4 Soy milk, 1 cup 1.4 Kidney beans, ½ cup canned 1.6 Chickpeas, ½ cup, canned 1.6 Tofu, firm, ½ cup 1.8 Soy burger, 1 average 1.8 to 3.9*

List of Vegetables Rich in Iron:  Broccoli, ½ cup, boiled 0.7 Green beans, ½ cup, boiled 0.8 Lima beans, baby, frozen, ½ cup, boiled     1.8 Beets, 1 cup 1.8 Peas, ½ cup frozen, boiled 1.3 Potato, fresh baked, cooked w/skin on  4.0 Vegetables, green leafy, ½ cup  2.0  Watermelon, 6 inch x ½ inch slice 3.0

A Sample List of Foods Rich in Iron:   Blackstrap Molasses, one tablespoon  3.0 Dates or Prunes, ½ cup 2.4 Beef, Pork, Lamb, three ounces 2.3 to 3.0 Liver (beef, chicken), three ounces 8.0 to 25.0 Clams, Oysters ¾ cup 3.0 Dark meat Turkey ¾ cup 2.6 Pizza, cheese or pepperoni, ½ of 10 inch pie 4.5 to 5.5

* Varies with brand. Check the iron content on the label. ** Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin     A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby.  And this was from another site... http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/information/nutritionalhe alth/ironrich/

What is the daily recommended iron intake for an adult? 10-18 mg

What are some examples of iron-rich foods? (Conversions: 250 ml = 1 cup; 15 ml = 1 tablespoon)

DRIED BEANS AND PEAS Lentils, cooked, drained 250 ml, 3.3 mg Lima beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.6 mg Red kidney beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.3 mg Soya beans 250 ml, 4.3 mg Split peas 250 ml, 4.5 mg VEGETABLES Asparagus, canned, drained 250 ml, 2.5 mg Green peas 250 ml, 3.0 mg Peppers, hot, red, dried, powder 15 ml, 2.3 mg Spinach, canned, drained 250 ml, 5.0 mg Spinach cooked 250 ml, 4.2 mg Tomato juice 250 ml, 2.3 mg FRUITS Apricots, dried, uncooked 15 ml, 0.9 mg Peaches, dried, uncooked 250 ml, 10.1 mg Dates, pitted, cut 250 ml, 5.3 mg Prune juice 250 ml, 11.0 mg

BREAKFAST CEREALS All Bran 200 ml, 4.3 mg Bran Flakes (raisins) 200 ml, 5.0 mg Corn, puffed (presweetened) 200 ml, 4.2 mg Farina (cream of wheat) 125 ml, 7.9 mg Oats, puffed, with or without corn (e.g. Cheerios) 250 ml, 9.2 mg Oats, puffed (e.g. Alphabets) 250 ml, 6.2 mg Rice Krispies 250 ml, 2.3 mg Wheat flakes (e.g. Pep, Grapenuts) 200 ml, 6.4 mg Wheat, puffed (e.g. Sugar Crisp) 250 ml, 6.3 mg Whole wheat (e.g. Shreddies) 250 ml, 6.3 mg

NUTS Almonds, shelled whole 125 ml, 4.0 mg Brazil nuts 125 ml, 2.3 mg Cashews, roasted 125 ml, 2.8 mg

PORK Ham, lean and fat, roasted, 6 mm thick 2 slices, 2.7 mg Pork chop, thick, with bone, lean and fat 1 chop, 1.9 mg

BEEF Corned beef hash with potato 8 oz., 4.6 mg Corned beef, medium fat 2 slices, 1.9 mg Ground beef, broiled, medium fat 250 ml, 2.9 mg Steak, broiled, lean only 1 piece, 3.4 mg

POULTRY Chicken, white meat 76 g, 1.3 mg Chicken, dark meat 90 g, 1.5 mg Turkey 90 g, 1.6 mg

LIVER AND KIDNEY Beef kidney (8 cm x 6 cm x 8 cm) 3 slices, 11.8 mg Beef liver, fried 3 oz., 8.0 mg Calf liver, fried 3 slices, 13.0 mg Chicken liver, fried 3 medium, 7.7 mg Pork kidney 3 slices, 7.2 mg Pork liver 3 slices, 7.2 mg

FISH AND SHELLFISH Clams, canned, drained 1 can, 5.5 mg Lake trout, broiled or baked 90 g, 4.5 mg Sardines, canned in oil 7 medium, 2.5 mg Scallops 6 pieces, 3.0 mg Tuna, canned, drained 90 g, 1.7 mg COMBINED DISHES Beans, white, dry, canned, with tomato sauce 250 ml, 4.9 mg Beans, white, dry, canned, with wieners 250 ml, 5.0 mg Beef pot pie, baked (10 cm) 1 pie, 4.1 mg Cabbage rolls with meat 2 rolls, 2.1 mg Chili con carne, with canned beans 250 ml, 4.5 mg Chili con carne, without beans 250 ml, 3.8 mg Poultry pot pie (10 cm) 1 pie, 3.0 mg Spaghetti with meat balls and tomato sauce 250 ml, 3.9 mg

SEEDS Pumpkin/squash seeds 125 ml, 6.5 mg Sunflower seeds 125 ml, 4.1 mg

ODDS AND ENDS All purpose flour 250 ml, 3.2 mg Brewer’s dry yeast 15 ml, 1.4 mg Brown’s sugar, packed 250 ml, 7.9 mg Egg 1 egg, 1.1 mg Egg noodles 250 ml, 2.7 mg Instant breakfast with milk 1 pack, 5.0 mg Molasses, cane, light 15 ml, 0.9 mg Molasses, cane, blackstrap 250 ml, 3.2 mg Pasta, enriched 250 ml, 2.4 mg Split pea soup 250 ml, 1.5 mg Whole wheat flour 250 ml, 3.8 mg

Dolores O.
on 7/1/08 7:44 am

Thanks to everyone *****plied.  I will definitely take your suggestions under SERIOUS consideration.

The liver, I might put off unless the problem can't be corrected with the iron pill I'm on, the beef upgrade and the cast iron pan.  Im not a fan of eggs at all, but I might try scramled with spinach and other foods.

But I am DEFINITELY using Shannon's chili recipe.  Im printing this out tomorrow and making a HUGE pot this weekend.

Thanks soooo much.  I have some Wendys chili for dinner tonight...and I wll make sure I take my HORSE, I mean iron pill tonight LOL

Does anyone know if the iron is in the egg white or the yolk?  I can deal with scrambled egg whites, but the yolks make me sick (I had this issue even before surgery)

Dolores~

dreamgirl119
on 7/1/08 9:54 am - Lansdowne, PA
Shannon, that is some fantastic information and I will be adding it to my need to know book
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 7/1/08 11:02 am
Walmart sells their own brand of spicy chili beans that is great in Chili made with Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes, Wegman's 98% Lean Ground Beef and McCormicks Dry Chili Mix.  All low sugar, low fat and low calorie.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views