Confessions of a food addict

Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 1:49 am - Easton, PA
Back at ya Geogrianne Thanks so much! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
rita61677
on 7/1/08 2:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
Pam - Might I add Al-Anon is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I actually went because when i was going to school for my MSW we had to go to either AA, NA or Al-Anon. I have always wanted or wondered what an Al-Anon meeting was like, My dad has been an alcoholic for as long as I can recall, and my daughter's biological father is a drug addict. Both men had such a huge impact on my life that I needed help or support rather for along time adn never went. I loved going...I knew I was not alone in this and that there was nothing I could really do to help them. They needed to want to the help. I have always been an emotional eater as well and I hope that I'm able to control that after the surgery with continued support from outside services. You may want to try it - you dont have to speak if you dont want to. you can sit and listen to everone else until you are ready to tell your story.
Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 8:37 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks - I will definately be considering it. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Patricia R.
on 7/1/08 2:34 am - Perry, MI
Hi Pam, Welcome to the human race.  We are human, and we will make mistakes.  I have made more than my share in the past six months, with food and other behaviors.  Coping with my brother's death, and other stressors, I stalled for six solid months with my weight loss.  I also learned just how sick I can get if I consume sugar, and I hated myself for that.   In therapy, I am reminded, over and over again, to practice self-soothing techniques, which I fail to make part of my daily regimen.  Deep breathing, relaxation exercises, prayer and meditation, are just a few of the things I need to implement on a regular basis in order to cope with the crap that life likes to throw at me.   Seven years ago, my husband left me, my kids all moved away, and my son got hooked on heroin, all in one year.  I thought I was going to die.  That was when I gained about 60 pounds of my weight.  I had stopped drinking and just turned to food more than ever.   My point is, I empathize and truly understand where you are coming from.  Learning to live life and deal with its upheavals without using food is a skill that can be learned, and mastered.  At least, that is my goal. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Nicole0216
on 7/1/08 5:48 am - Lancaster, PA

Pam thanks for posting this. This is a powerful thread of good advice and support. I dont have much to add other than to say I am right there with you. I hear your struggle and i empathize. I also want to tell you that your posts are always so well thought out and expressive. I appreciate that. I am great verbally in person but have a hard time expressing myself in writing to I always appreciate your posts. I agree about the alanon i have considered going myself. We will get through this, it is a journey some days we do the right thing and still dont feel like we did. It is perception and perception is hard to change but you sure are making a good effort at it

Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 8:41 pm - Easton, PA
Nic, We would make a fabulous team - because I'm great at expressing myself through writing and thoroughly enjoy it - but speaking - I sound like a child.  So, I'll do your writing and you do my speaking, ok? Thanks for the support and compliments! Pam
Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 8:39 pm - Easton, PA
Trish, Thanks - you are so great with all of this - and I've taken the advice you've given me before....and I appreciate your honesty. So....this human race thing...sucks sometimes, no?  LOL  Just kidding!  Just need to learn to renavigate it without food as my road map! Pam
momma2
on 7/1/08 9:24 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thanks for sharing Pam...I am totally with you...I have been "splurging" some myself...it is so easy to go backwards isn't it...all we can do is take it one day and one meal at a time...blessings to you and your family... Sheila

Pam Hart
on 7/1/08 8:41 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks Sheila! 
bubble273
on 7/1/08 9:48 am - Levittown, PA

Pam,

Thanks for being so honest about everything going on in your life.  I'm sorry you have to deal with it all.  It seems we all have family issues and things that can lead us to emotional eating.  I think the great fact is that you knew what you did and you knew how to fix it.  We all have slip ups and it's going to happen to the best of us.  And it's okay because we can get right back on that wagon and start to make better choices. 

And this board and everybody here will always be here for you when you and anyone else, including me, has a slip up.  When you talk about it, you get it out and it makes you feel better.  If you hold it in, you're heading for a world of trouble.  Honesty is the best policy and we all can learn from that.

Know that I'm thinking of you and your family and hope all will work out.  Take care and I'll see you Friday at the 5k so we all can walk off these emotions!!!!!

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views