appt w/ Insurance Coordinator was pointless

pitablond
on 6/30/08 12:49 am - Harrisburg, PA
I am so sad and frustrated.  I finally decided that this surgery was something that I needed to do to get my life on track and be here for my boys. 

I went to the Weight Loss Clinic this morning and paid their fee to have them tell me that my insurance company does not pay for bypass or lap band surgery in any way.  That talked to me about self pay...that’s not happening, we are struggling as it is. 

The other option that I have is to work with their nutritionist for a "small".    I don’t see the point in that when my family doc already said that a lot of my weight problem is genetics because I’m active and for the most part eat pretty healthy.  Ugh.  Im so frustrated and now have NO clue what to do.
dit657
on 6/30/08 1:16 am - Boothwyn, PA
Before you get all frustrated and discouraged go to your insurance yourself and ask them about their policies on weight loss surgery - maybe they don't cover that particular facility? Maybe you'll have to find another doctor, but investigate this a little further before giving up. Best of luck to you - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
pitablond
on 6/30/08 1:27 am - Harrisburg, PA
I called them and they said that weight loss surgery is not covered at all.
dit657
on 6/30/08 1:34 am - Boothwyn, PA
I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't understand some of these insurance companies and their thought processes on not covering this surgery - in the long run they end up paying out much more in medicines, tests, etc. for obese people. I hope you're able to find an alternate solution. Kathy

dit657
on 6/30/08 1:37 am - Boothwyn, PA
PS: I do know some people on these boards have actually been able to switch insurance providers if their company offers more than one insurance provider. I don't know if that's an option for you or not. but it has worked for some people. Kathy

jdruski
on 6/30/08 1:35 am - Philadelphia, PA

Ashley, Someone on another board posted something similar.  I agree with the poster who said to contact your insurance directly.  I believe the words that were used on the other board were to tell the insurance company that it is a medical necessity. I really hope this works out for you. Jeanne

Pam Hart
on 6/30/08 1:55 am - Easton, PA
Oh what a bad day!!  I don't blame you at all for being upset. In the meantime - there may be a few avenues for you.  1)  Does your husband have health insurance?  If so, you may be able to switch to his.  You might have to wait until open enrollment for this to happen - which is normally at the beginning of the year, but it's at least an option.  2)  Getting health insurance on your own.  This is sometimes costly, and I understand that may not be feasible for you - but you can at least look into it. Sorry honey. I don't know if loans are an option for you as I understand the monetary constraints - but it might be worth looking into.... Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
pitablond
on 6/30/08 5:41 am - Harrisburg, PA

Okay, today is CRAZY!  I didnt realize my post came up so funky.  lol   I was so upset that I was emailing friends and using copy/paste. So I called the insurance company and weight loss surgeries are not covered whatsoever...they of course recommended looking at their website for the gym/weigh****cher, etc. discounts. Im sure you can imagine what I wanted to say to her, but I politely told her that my gym is not listed there.  I also called my HR department and she said that she knows that the 2 other insurances do cover but she isn't sure what stipulations they have (6 month diet, testing, deductibles, etc).  She told me that my best bet would be to call each insurance company in November during Open Enrollment and find out what each has to offer.  So that's where I am!

Pam Hart
on 6/30/08 5:45 am - Easton, PA
Ok....so you have options which is a good thing.  I understand your emotional upset, however.  I would definately be calling come open enrollment time.  At least then you could switch.  This might be more of a delay you were hoping for, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
pitablond
on 6/30/08 6:07 am - Harrisburg, PA
Exactly...now I'm just being hit with the maybe's!  Maybe this happened for a reason, maybe I'm not supposed to have surgery, maybe it is good to wait until my boys are a little older, etc.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views