Crossing Over to the Other Side - a WoW Reflection

KimZ
on 6/27/08 10:19 pm - PA
Turning one year older this week  - I did a bit of reflecting over the past year and beyond actually.  I was remembering as a 13, 14, 15 yr old kid the frustration in my mother as she could only buy clothes that fit me from the Sears and Roebuck or JC Penney Catalogs.  Occassionally on 'special occassions' we would go to the Lane Bryant (at that time it was the only retail store available for larger sizes), but it was oh so expensive. I know alot of the ladies post about how happy they are to shop - but I am just not a shopper and I cant justify spending much now as the sizes of my clothes continue to drop.  Safety Pins continue to be a staple in my wardrobe. So, yesterday I went in search of a pair of dress pants as I am growing tired of pinned skirts for work.  I went into the local Fashion Bug and immediately gravitated to my 'comfort zone' side, but I realized that the clothes on that side were now all too big for me, so I asked the clerk for some help. After I explained the problem , she just kept raving about how well I am doing and how proud of myself I could be, but actually I was feeling a little nervous about even being in the other side of the store.  It was very foreign to me - I mean after all this is where my daughter shops for her clothes.  I found the pants I was looking for size 14 and a nice blouse and some new work out pants.  All I could think about on the drive back home was - a year older and I'm smaller now than I have been in over 34 years.   KimZ

ktreavis
on 6/27/08 10:33 pm - PA
Kim -  Your post brings tears to my eyes, b/c I too have been the same way. You see I have weighed over 200lbs. since I was 10. I am now down to 213 and I don't know how to react sometimes. I very quickly had to stop shopping at the plus size stores and I feel overwhelmed in "regular" stores. I am so excited for you and thank you for letting me share in your journey. - Katie

Progress not perfection

Patricia R.
on 6/27/08 10:43 pm - Perry, MI
Kim, I was talking to a therapist from an eating disorder program I was in recently.  She asked me about my surgery, as she does a lot of the pre-op intake assessments for Barix patients, and asks about goal weights.  I told her I did not have a fixed goal weight, as much as a goal size.  My goal was/is to be able to shop in the normal part of the store, which I have done for over a year now since my surgery.  As long as I stay "Normal" size, I will be happy.  I still have weight to lose to get my BMI into the overweight, not obese, range, but I am okay with shopping on the normal side of the store.   Congrats on being on the other side.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Laureen S.
on 6/27/08 10:59 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Kim, Your post sounds like one I wrote a couple of months back, when I finally realized that I no longer fit into Lane Bryant or Women's Department clothing, my first shopping foray into regular sizes almost had me in tears, overwhelmed with the selections and not buying a thing, as I really did not feel like it was real to me.  But what a great feeling it now is to be able to shop in "regular" clothing stores, I am also smaller now than I've been in over 30 years, isn't it grand.  Happy Birthday and happy new life! Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

KimZ
on 6/27/08 11:35 pm - PA
I'm glad to hear I am not the only one feeling this way.  And I will be ok with shopping on 'the other side', but I think the words I continue to  struggle  with (and maybe its just our society) are words like "Regular" and "Normal".   I knew some of you could relate to this feeling of overwhelming in shopping in a different area of the stores.  I have to think of it like an adventure - always a new area, new selections - and heck lets say it like it is - the smaller clothes are cheaper!!  Thanks guys. Kim Z

Donna_in_PA
on 6/28/08 12:43 am - Lansdale, PA
Wow, I got tears in my eyes too.  I can really relate. I too, was always the tall, big one (back of the line in size order in grade school, last one to be picked during gym relay races, etc. etc. etc).  My uncle used to call me his amazon (and I wasn't offended until I got older and realized the connotation). I'm just afraid to go to "the other side".  I'm hinge-ing on both sides of the store, I think, and I need to get an outfit for an important job interview with one of the top law firms in the country.  I worked there in Human Resources five years ago when I was much heavier, they called me back - and I want to go in there and .. well I don't know what, surprise them?  Make an impact?  I don't know. I don't like to shop either, so this isn't going to be fun.  I just don't want to be disappointed... again.

Donna

tracyb330
on 6/28/08 1:20 am - Temple, PA
Kim I read your story on you page and it brought me to tears. I can't imagine going thru what you went thru. I hope your daughter is doing good. You should feel very proud of yourself you are an inspiration. I hope to have sugery in July. Dr. Boe is also doing my surgery. Congrats on being able to shop on the "other side" I can't wait until me and my 18 year old can take the same size...lol.
5'9 and a size 6...I love my tool.
Nicole0216
on 6/28/08 1:54 am - Lancaster, PA
Kim it takes time for our brains to catch up and even longer for us to believe that we deserve some things. It is so hard to trust this process and truly believe in it. Enjoy your size. embrace the new you she has been waiting there for a long time well over 34 years :) you are so brave for asking for help when you realized you needed and were no longer going to accept second best for yourself. It only gets better
Pam Hart
on 6/28/08 2:34 pm - Easton, PA
Good for you Kim. I know - that other side of the store is foreign and almost scary.  I still look at clothes and say "wow...this will never fit" or I don't belong in this section. Nice journey, and happy bday! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 6/29/08 9:51 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Kim, seems to me you've always been pretty 'normal' - its just a shame that society and clothing manufacturers make us feel like outcasts and that we're not 'normal'.  I'm not on the other side of the store yet, but at least I can go into a TJ Maxx or Marshalls and buy clothing off the rack, and that's a great feeling. You've had an incredible journey so far and I'm very happy for you - size 14 pans are awesome and you should be shouting it from the rooftops! Enjoy the new you - and keep on being 'normal'!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views