Poison Ivy!!

Donna_in_PA
on 6/25/08 11:28 pm - Lansdale, PA
Going on three weeks now and itching myself bloody! Each year around this time, since I've moved to the 'burbs, I get poison ivy.  There is a nasty hedge with intespersed poison ivy thru it, that runs along the property line between my neighbor and us (unfortunately the hedge is ours) that has to be cut and for the third year in a row I have not learned my lesson and got poison ivy again.  I don't cut that hedge anymore (i let my fiance' do it now) but even if I stand within 5' of that hedge, I get it. Can anyone suggest anything to alleviate the itch?  I've tried calamine lotion, oatmeal baths, hydrocortison creme, Technu products (on line product that was supposed to be good) and even prescription creme from the doc.  I do not want to take prednisolone (steroid) because I feel as though I take enough pills and when my PCP put me on it two years ago, it did nothing anyway.  I must be extremely allergic, because I get it despite wearing gloves and long sleeves/long pants.  Just thought someone would have a tried and true home remedy or something.  It's everywhere on my body and is showing no signs of leaving anytime soon.  Thanks.

Donna

bubble273
on 6/25/08 11:34 pm - Levittown, PA

I'm so sorry, Donna, for your uncomfortableness.  I also dread getting it every year, but it's been about two since I've had any.  My dad is extremely allergic and has to go to the doctor right away.  They usually prescribe him the steroid and it starts to go away right away.  You may need a shot of something really strong and not take the pills.  I would call the doctor and really scream about it and hopefully they have something stronger than the steroid.  There's got to be something out there that they can give you.  I'm sorry I can't help you really, but can sympathize with you.  I hope you get better soon.  Keep us posted on how you make out.

Karen

EileenWalton
on 6/26/08 1:14 am
My husband has a very bad allergic reaction as well.  The only way to treat it is to take something internally.  Topical treatments have no affect at all.  I would take Karen's advice and call the doctor to get something strong that will take care of it.  Three weeks is way too long to be suffering like that. Hope you feel better soon!
Eileen

jastypes
on 6/26/08 3:02 am - Croydon, PA
Eileen, you have a PM. As for poison ivy, I had it this year and took the prednisone for 6 days.  At the end of that, I still had a little itch, but mostly it was gone.  I used benedryl when the itching got bad. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Pam Hart
on 6/26/08 3:15 am - Easton, PA
You can try Benadryl for the itching - although - with everything you have tried, I'm not sure that will help. If Prednisone by mouth didn't help you the last time, there is an injectible steroid form, I believe the brand name is Solu-Medrol.  I don't know how often it would have to be given - but we give doses of it in the ER quite frequently in injections or through IVs for Asthma and rashes of all sorts. I understand you not wanting to take other pills - but this has gone on long enough! Any chance you would be considering taking out the hedge?  Well, not you, but having your fiancee remove the hedge? Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views