Why the sleep apnea test?

BebeJones
on 5/10/19 2:18 pm

I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this question. I have read quite a few of your posts and noticed that someone mentioned that one of the prerequisites for the surgery is that you don't have a sleep apnea. Isn't sleep apnea one of the common side-effects of being overweight/obese? Generally, what is the purpose of the sleep apnea study in pre-surgery process?

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/10/19 2:47 pm - Windsor, Canada

Anesthesia, especially general anesthesia, can be dangerous for people with obstructive sleep apnea. ... Sleep apnea also can make it more difficult to regain consciousness and take a breath after surgery. The condition makes anesthesia riskier because it slows down breathing and can make you more sensitive to its effects.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

BebeJones
on 5/10/19 8:46 pm

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Does it mean that people with severe apnea get rejected for the surgery or they are subject to a different protocol and medications?

I am pretty sure that there are very few people with weight issues that do not have sleep apnea.

Mellywog
on 5/14/19 8:47 am
RNY on 06/17/19

I was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I was shocked as I thought the test was a waste of time.

I think the only thing different is that we need to have our machines with us for surgery.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/14/19 1:01 pm - Windsor, Canada

You Will typically need to get a machine and be using it consistently to be approved for surgery

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

BebeJones
on 5/14/19 7:14 pm

Thank you!

SweetRide1
on 5/20/19 7:11 am
RNY on 01/16/18

It is not true that you can't have WLS if you have sleep apnea.

A lot of us had/or have sleep apnea. It's actually one of the co-morbidities that qualify you for surgery.

I had the sleep study done prior to surgery. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea which typically would have required a CPAP however, I was asymptomatic. I wasn't tired etc., etc.

I had surgery and no longer have sleep apnea. I know several people who had it prior to surgery. They just had to bring their CPAP machine with them.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 5/20/19 7:53 pm
RNY on 02/19/19

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea through my doctor and by the time I had my appointment with the anesthesiologist I already had my CPAP machine. I couldn't stand it. Don't know how people can sleep with it, I felt claustrophobic. My doctor gave me sleeping pills to help me get used to it and I'm glad he did because the anesthesiologist told me I had to use it. He said" you've come all this far it would be sad to have your Surgery cancelled because of this.'" Thank God I was able to put up with it with the pills to help me sleep. You have to take the machine with you to surgery as you get hooked up to it afterwards. I had my surgery February 19, 2019 and no longer need it !! ?? Good luck!

Most Active