Hamilton Process

Waxwing
on 3/12/19 9:27 am

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a bit and decided to post to clarify some info.

I was referred in November, had my orientation earlier this month and my nutrition class is on March 22ed. That seemed pretty quick considering they said the wait from orientation to nutrition class would be the longest.

Because I need to let my work know the number of days I'm going to have to book appointments, I'm trying to sort out exactly how many appointments I'm likely to have. My understanding is that after the nutrition class, I'll have:

• nurse appointment where I'll get reqs for ultrasound and blood work (I'll just do those at a private place so I don't have to miss work)
  • social worker
  • psychologist (I have a history of depression, but well-managed)
  • Internist
  • Gastroscopy
  • Surgical consult
  • pre-op class
  • pre-op assessment
  • then surgery

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm younger with no indications for requiring colonoscopy or other major workup (no history of cardiac disease, for instance.)

Im expecting I'll see the surgeon sometime this summer and be looking at surgery in the late autumn/early winter. As I understand it the process in Hamilton takes about a year from referral/9-ish months from orientation for most people. Does that seem reasonable or have things gotten worse recently?

SweetRide1
on 3/12/19 5:53 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I came through Hamilton but my referral took me through the Wharton Clinic vs. the Bariatric Clinic at the Hospital so my experience is probably somewhat different.

I was 7 months from referral to surgery. I was extremely proactive. I booked multiple appointments on one day so I would take a full day off work and get 3 done. For example, I did an abdominal ultrasound the same day as I saw the Social Worker and the Dietician. One day down. Then I did the endoscopy and colonoscopy the same day. Another day done.

You will have an appointment with the dietician before the nutrition class. It's usually a one on one to get you going with your supplements and to sort out a plan for you, i.e., discussing any food allergies or intolerances.

You may have to do a sleep study. That can be one more thing as well.

If all goes well then your timeframe may work out. If something shows up in your tests that needs to be addressed it could take longer to get to surgery. I do know some people who had to wait 2 years while iron issues, h pylori issues and other stuff got resolved.

I always called for cancellations and constantly called to get results. If the clinic didn't have them, I went and got them and hand delivered them.

You need to stay on top of everything to make sure the clinic gets everything they need.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Waxwing
on 3/12/19 3:11 pm

Thanks for that, I very much appreciate it. I forgot to list the allergy testing; I have that referral made already.

Im fortunate that I already know I won't need a sleep study or colonoscopy (there's never been any concern that I have OSA and I have no bowel issues.) I have recently had a bunch of blood work done for another issue (now managed) so I'm quite sure I won't have any surprises pop up, thankfully.

I currently only have the appointment with the dietician and the nutrition class scheduled. Do I have to wait for the other appointments to have a scheduled date before I can call them to try to get an earlier cancellation?

SweetRide1
on 3/12/19 8:05 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Yes, now you wait for them to decide what tests they eat you to have.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Most Active