Getting painful to walk ( kind of embarrassed)

Grayer93
on 3/11/19 2:50 pm

So this is Kind of embarrassing to ask and tell, but it's getting more painful to walk. I went to see the dietician and she asked me why I went up 10lbs. I was embarrassed and made up some lame excuse. I am going back in to see her in a couple weeks and she wants to see me with some weight loss before I get sent to the surgeon. I have been fixing my diet but I'm becoming more and more sedate in my walking. I have always been a big guy, but I could always move and be active. But now after a block my legs are screaming for mercy . Any thoughts?

SweetRide1
on 3/11/19 4:19 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. If you can get a grip on the diet, the weight will start to come off. Get some weight off and you will be able to move better. Easier said than done I know.

In the interim, there's always aquafit. Aerobics done in a pool. It helps get you moving without the stress on your joints. If walking causes you pain, this may be the thing for you.

Don't be embarrassed. We are all here because we need to lose weight and I will bet that a good many of us were not active prior to surgery.

Good Luck.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Grayer93
on 3/18/19 2:17 pm

I just signed up a week ago for aquafit. I had no idea what that was until now.

crqvingchange
on 3/12/19 3:42 am

Try other forms of exercise to get your body moving. You will not lose much weight through exercise, but it is a way to get your head in the game and get those muscles moving. Try water aerobics, recumbent bike, weight lifting.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Wayne H.
on 3/12/19 6:45 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Grayer93,

Instead of doing the marathon walk of a block, Why not try 3 shorter walks in the day and build up to doing the entire block? Start with 3 short walks and work towards 2 Longer Walks eventually allowing you to comfortable do a Block or more at a time. Continue to drink lots of water and stick to the Diet Plan. Always make the choice to go with the healthier food or snack. For every Pound you lose, you take 4lbs of pressure off your Knees and Legs. Lose 10 pounds, that's 40 Lbs of pressure off your Knees/Feet/Legs.

Baby Steps. That's all I can tell you. Baby Steps lead to Leaps and Bounds.

Hope that helps and Yes... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I was 404Lbs when I started this new journey and I regret NOTHING about my decision.

Regards
Wayne

Kath L
on 3/12/19 7:17 am

You gained because of your diet and not because of the lack of walking. The "painful to walk" is just an excuse. Watch your diet and keep moving, pain or not.

Referral: Feb 14/17; Processed: Apr 28/17; Hamilton Orientation: July 24/17; Pre-Nutrition: Oct 27/17; Re-Do Hamilton Orientation: Apr 29/19; Pre-Nutrition: May 17/19; Nurse: May 29/19; Blood work: Aug 2/19; EKG: Aug 1/19; Allergist: Aug 15/19; Abdominal Ultrasound: Sep 4/19; Dietician: Sept 9/19; Internist Dr. Taboni: Oct 10/19; Social Work: Nov 06/19; Endoscopy Consult: Nov 08/19; Gastroscopy: Nov 21/19; Meet Dr. Gmora: Dec 4/19 Pre-Op and Surgery Class: Jan 09/20 Surgery: Jan 13/20 OMG they moved it up to Jan 06/20

Laura in Texas
on 3/14/19 12:34 pm

Do you have a fitbit or other fitness tracker? Try to increase your steps a little bit each week. Try to avoid the "all or nothing" mentality. We are only in competition with ourselves.

I assume you are pre-op. It was impossible for me to stick to a diet pre-op. I needed surgery to lose the weight and keep it off. But it sounds like you need to play the game to get the surgery. Do whatever it takes to get to see the surgeon. Perhaps you should replace two meals a day with a protein shake. Then you would only need to plan one healthy meal a day.

Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grayer93
on 3/18/19 2:15 pm

your right about playing the game actually already replaced two of my meals per day with protein powder and still had a healthy meal for dinner. I've actually started to try to take it like one block at a time and increase every couple days.

Most Active