Hair loss - How common is it

Mellywog
on 1/31/19 10:42 am
RNY on 06/17/19

The topic of hair loss is mentioned every now and then but never really in depth. I am pre surgery and I am wondering how many of you have actually dealt with hair loss? Is this something everyone deals with? How bad is it and what can you do about it? Is there any way to prevent it?

Greatmum41
on 1/31/19 12:44 pm

I have lost a lot of hair since surgery. That being said I had extremely think hair and am enjoying the thinner locks. I am 6 months out and the hair loss is slowing. The biggest key is to get your protein my nutritionist said hair loss can be bad if you are not hitting your protein goals.

Ginnny
on 1/31/19 12:50 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Nothing can be done to prevent hair loss. It's a side effect of the anesthetic. If you do a search you will read lots of information but no tried and true prevention for the loss.

Having said that, some people experience it worse than others.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

LeslieCL
on 1/31/19 2:55 pm

I did not experience hair loss with my surgery. I lost lots on the Dr B diet and on other low calorie diets so... I Think the vitamins and the protein on the diet prescribed to us certainly helped me.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

SweetRide1
on 1/31/19 3:44 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I started losing 3 months after surgery and continue to lose. I've been blessed with an incredibly thick head of hair so no one is really noticing however I notice. I now have hair regrowth so things are a bit untidy with short hairs sticking out all over the place but it is growing back.

I tried biotin supplements, biotin shampoos, made sure I was getting all my protein, but nothing helped.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

wrkinprogress
on 2/1/19 7:49 am

Hey Melly!

Good to see you,,,,,,, how is your process going?

Sadly I am 2 months out of surgery and already have lost hair. The other day in the shower when washing my hair..... I would see several strands on both hands. I have heard it'**** and miss depending on the person so I'm just dealing with it... my health is way more important than my hair which will grow back in! For now I'm just conditioning really well and using Marc Anthony THICK hair thickening cream which basically just helps so you can style it a bit.

I'm going to ask my nutritionist and doctor about getting even more protein when I go to my follow-up appointment later this month.

Don't obsess about your hair,,,,,, your health is key!

catwoman7
on 2/2/19 5:29 am
RNY on 06/03/15

people are all across the board with this. I lost almost none. All I noticed was a few extra strands in my comb from about months 6-12. I never would have noticed otherwise, and neither did anyone else.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active