Protein choices

ElizabethLouli
on 1/29/19 12:43 pm
RNY on 02/20/19

Hi all,

Getting my kitchen in order before surgery so I have everything ready when I get home.

Questions: Do you have a favourite protein powder? Also, do you drink protein water as well?

Im starting Optifast tomorrow for 3 weeks. Definitely nervous but I'm a crochet nut so I'll be keeping my hands busy.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated!

Feb 16/18 Orientation - Feb 20/19 Surgery

SweetRide1
on 1/29/19 2:58 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I didn't use protein powder, I just drank the Premier Protein Shakes.

As for the protein water, I know lots of people who use them. I found them too sweet so I passed on them. I know some people water them down and that helped with the sweetness.

Do what works for you. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Ginnny
on 1/30/19 6:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi there. I would suggest that you not stock up on protein powder pre-surgery. Many people say that their tastes change after surgery and they can't stomach the same flavours as they could before surgery.

You can order sample packets from many of the manufacturers so you can test out flavours before you commit to anything.

I also used the RTD (ready to drink) Premier Protein. I bought some unflavoured protein powder from the Bulk Barn but the majority of what I purchased is still in a container in the cupboard (almost 3 yrs post op - yes I need to throw it out).

Good luck to you!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Tuktu
on 1/31/19 8:42 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I agree on not stocking up on any protein powder - get the smallest sample you can get to test them after surgery. I went to Popeye's and they gave me a few samples to try. I ended up with a few huge bottles of unused Protein powder because I couldn't gag them down after surgery. The Bulk Barn protein is good because you can buy a reasonable small amount at first to test it. Maybe if you go to a bariatic support meeting, you could ask other people to bring you a sample of their favorite protein powder?

Most Active