One Year Surgiversay!

SweetRide1
on 1/16/19 9:42 am
RNY on 01/16/18

So today is the day! At this time last year, I was in surgery and changing my life.

I really didn't know what to expect. I didn't know how easy or hard it would be. I didn't know if the surgery would work. I didn't know how my relationships with friends, co-workers, family and most importantly my relationship with my longtime partner would shake out. Would I get thin? Was this the right decision? Had I made a terrible mistake? I didn't know.

I was taking a leap into the unknown, with no comfort level of what I was about to experience. I was placing my trust in a surgeon and a team that was looking after me. It wasn't blind trust, but it was close. It was a scary place to be initially.

I have worked hard this past year on all kinds of things and I have been rewarded in more ways than I can imagine.

I made goal - my goal. I have lost 155 lbs and surpassed all expectations from my "team". I am now done losing and have moved into maintenance. The really hard work starts now.

I have gained confidence, and this newfound confidence has crept into my work life and my home life. It has made me more productive and a better employee. An employee that is worth their pay and more. I have become more proactive and productive at home as well. I no longer put things off because it's physically difficult to do it. I own my confidence.

I have made friends that I never imagined would become so important to me. Last night we went out for dinner to celebrate one of these friend's Birthday! So much fun. We all met on-line and then at a support group meeting. We hold each other up. We listen to each other and we have fun together. For some reason the 5 of us found each other. We come from all different walks of life, we all do different jobs but the 5 of us clicked. We all have had RNY in the last year. We are always "there" for each other.

I've lost some friends but not many. The majority of my friends have been incredible. I have so much support. The friends I lost I lost because I wanted to lose them. I have no place in my life for toxic relationships and drama. I no longer care to have those types of friendships and although hard in the beginning, it was the right thing to do and I am better for it.

As for hubby, he has been awesome. He has some reservations and we've had our talks. He is happy for me, supportive of me, but continues to feel unsure. He worries I will "toss him back in the lake with the little fishes", if a "big fish" catches my attention. He is insecure about us; about himself. I'm not going anywhere and I have told him so. We were meant for each other whether fat or thin. My feelings have not changed. Only time and patience will ease his fears so for now that's where we are. I'm not going anywhere and eventually he will "get it".

It hasn't all been butterflies and flowers that's for sure. Challenges have come my way. A complication here, a complication there, a second surgery, and some weird blood work, but nothing that has caused me to despair that I chose to have this surgery. In fact, I would do this again in a heartbeat. I have NO REGRETS.

My mental and physical health have vastly improved. All co-morbidities are gone. GONE! I can skate, swim, lift weights, run, work out, get in and out of the shower without toppling over and so many other wonderful things. Things you wouldn't think about. I can fit in a airplane seat and not need a seatbelt extender. I can fit through small openings. I can shop for clothes ANYWHERE. I am a more compassionate and kinder person. I am less quick to judge and take the time to listen. I have changed. I have changed for the better.

I gave myself a gift and now it's my job to make sure I don't squander this gift. This is forever. The hard work will continue. I need to continue to be careful and embrace the ha*****anges that I have made. I need to remain vigilant and to continue being active and being smart. I have to own my choices and my decisions going forward. This is all on me. There are no excuses.

I joined here at OH before my surgery and I have spent many hours reading about people's journeys. OH has been a tremendous resource for me. Everyone going through this process needs resources, support and friendship. We all need someone to listen from time to time. I hope that by my postings over the past year I have been able to impart some wisdom or just an opportunity to read about what I'm doing. Hearing it from those that are "in it and doing it" is very important and very real.

If you are just starting out, know that everyone's journey is different. Our challenges are different and what happens in the end is different. Work hard, listen to those that know. Follow the instructions you are given at the clinic. Research research research.

A new reality is here for the taking. Grab it!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Liveyourlife
on 1/16/19 6:57 pm

Fabulous post, keep up the great work!

Orientation July, Surgeon consult Sept, Internist Nov, RD/RSW/RN Dec.

RNY March 2, 2018 HRRH Pam (49 / 5'5 ½)

HW: 237, PreOpti: 226, Opti: -10, M1: -20, M2: -12, M3: -13, M4 -10, M5 -9, M6 -7, M7 -2, M8 -3, M9 -1 CW 138

Lucile777
on 1/16/19 7:23 pm

Oh my goodness sweetride- 155 lbs?! Do you have saggy skin issues? How tall are you? I can't imagine weighing 130 lbs. I mean I can, but I guess I gotta cut out the bad foods that I've let sneak in lol. Good for you!!! You go, girl!!!

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

SweetRide1
on 1/17/19 5:03 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I'm 5'2" tall. Underneath all that fat was a little person crying to get out. When my sister saw me at Christmas she was shocked at how little I am. Her comment was...."I never would have imagined your frame to be so small". Well neither did I! LOL But it is. I wear size 8 pants and small to extra small tops. My bra size went from a 46D to a 32A. Yikes!

And yes, I do have saggy skin but not as bad as I thought it would be. It could have been much worse. I don't have muffin top and my abdomen isn't too bad however I will be having plastic surgery sometime next year. I'm probably going to do a tummy tuck and abdominoplasty. I'm not going to touch my upper legs, I'm just going to have to live with it. No boob job either although I could use it. I am what I am at this point. If I can afford to do arms in the future I'll consider it but they're not too bad either.

I'm still kinda losing although I'm not trying. I dropped another pound the other day. I actually don't want to lose anymore. I think I look good the way I am.

It's been a ride that's for sure. I'm so glad I did it.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Cherie1971
on 1/17/19 12:34 am

you Have a great attitude on life and are such an inspiration. Congratulations on losing 155lbs. That is so amazing.

wrkinprogress
on 1/17/19 7:48 am

Sooo HAPPY for you! The results are amazing but better yet you are happy and healthy.

Thanks so much for the detailed post, I'm only a month and a half post surgery so am hoping by the end of this journey to be able to have a list of accomplishments just like yours. This is such an encouragement to those who are just beginning.

Congrats and keep up the great work!

marsbar
on 1/17/19 11:45 am - scarborough Ontario, Canada
RNY on 03/15/19

This was a long read but so worth it!! I'm so happy for you I'm literally brought to tears . This is such an encouragement and you are a great inspiration to me and many others I'm sure. Congratulations and continue on your successful journey of life!

Maisie87
on 1/17/19 4:45 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! As someone just starting the whole process, I often save moments where I wonder if what I'm gettimg myself into is overkill, or that maybe it won't work for me and I'm scared at what life is going to look like when I finally get to the place I've been dreaming of my whole life - but this post makes me super excited! I know it will be hard, but worth it!

Referral: Nov. 9/18 HRRHOrientation: January 29, 2019Met Surgeon: May 27, 2019Nurse & Dietician: June 10, 2019Internist: June 12, 2019Social Worker: June 28, 2019Surgery Date: October 7, 2019

SweetRide1
on 1/17/19 5:05 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

With all the ups and downs this is best decision I've ever made. Like I said, I have no regrets. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. :)

Most Active