Overwhelmed.

MichelleS61
on 10/19/18 6:38 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

It was a big decision for me too, finally reached the tipping point when I had to keep increasing my meal time insulin to over 50 units a shot, I knew that it might not "cure" my diabetes but it would put me in a better place. I'm 8 months out now, down 85 or so pounds, considered a success by program standards although I'd still like to lose another 30 pounds. I no longer take Insulin shots with meals, I'm down 1 High blood pressure med, 1 asthma med, and have stopped taking a statin at least for now. I'm still using my CPAP machine until I'm retested as I suffer from low oxygen levels when sleeping and as this can contribute to the development of Alzheimer's which is currently affecting my Dad, I'm in no hurry to stop.

Not all things are perfect, you have to continue to fight to resist food temptations and learn to recognize your triggers.

The process I went through took about a year and a half, but it meant that by the time I reach surgery I was really sure this is what I wanted, and my family had time to adjust to the idea too. I think the process can be faster now depending on where you are located.

This was a good decision for me, I'm leading a healthier life now, and am expecting it will only get better.

Good luck in your journey.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

ravenbrenna
on 10/25/18 9:19 am

That is so awesome to hear!! Hearing how much it has helped people is so amazing!

coolmama
on 10/24/18 10:36 pm

Hi my situation is a little similar in that i too was offered saxenda instead of wls. I made an appointment with my family doctor regarding weightloss surgery. I have a BMI of 49.8. My doctor was not too interested in me getting weightloss surgery because of all the aftercare there is too surgery and suggested saxenda. I was not interested in saxenda for 2 reasons. First it is expensive per month and my work insurance does not cover it. Also i couldnt see myself injecting it into myself daily. It was my decision and my health so he finally agreed and referred me to the ontario bariatric network online while i was in his office.

5 days later i got a call for an orientation appointment for the end of November. as well have to go for bloodwork tomorrow.

Go to your family doctor and ask him/her what qualifications for surgery pertaining to your situation.

ravenbrenna
on 10/25/18 10:05 am

I haven't seen my doctor yet, it was just that everything I had looked up said you had to try weight loss medications as well. I called to make an appointment but she was on vacation so I left a voicemail. Hopefully will have an appointment soon (she is pretty quick) and will be receptive. I am nervous about the discussion, but I know it is what I want and what is right for me and she is usually good at listening. crosses fingers

Glad your doctor did eventually listen to you :).

Kathy S.
on 10/25/18 7:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Good Morning,

I can't answer about the system in Canada but I can help with surgery types and anything questions you may have surgery wise. You will know when the time is right and wait until you are sure the time is right. I took 18 months flipping back and forth. I went to seminars and came out with my husband stating those people were nuts I can do this myself. Keep in mind I had done it myself up to 330 pounds. I proceeded to lose 60 pounds and gain 80. That was the final straw for me and went to the surgeon I liked best after going to 3 seminars in he Chicago area. I was disappointed in the program taking at least 6 months up to a year, and this was back in 2004. But the time was worth it as I was prepared for success and long term success.

Make sure you are provided a detailed pre-op and post-op program. This is key to your success. If you want any information about surgery types or anything else I can help with, please let me know.

We look forward to your updates and wish you luck

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ravenbrenna
on 10/25/18 10:12 am

RIGHT??! I have been so stubborn and full of pride. I am also currently at 330 lbs. I had said "That's it" when I'd reached my previous heaviest and 310lbs and made extreme changes and started with a personal trainer. The whole bit. That eventually fell apart and I thought i was holding fairly steady until I accidentally looked at the scale when I was at a doctor's appointment. 330lbs. I was floored. Even still I wasn't going to do this because it was such an extreme thing to me and I felt like it was the easy way out.

It was always in the back of my head though, just a thought that I would keep brushing away. Eventually I caved and looked into it more and discovered how wrong I was. And I know a surprising number of people who had it done before I knew them. I would never have had a clue. I have talked to them about it, and meeting people in person who I can see and know made it seem that much more viable to me. I'm still scared as hell, and my biggest confusion IS which surgery to choose between, but I know this is the right step for me.

It seems like in Ontario the network is pretty intense in regards to the pre-op and post-op procedures and follow ups. Which was also a point in it's favour for me. There is a whole network and support system automatically set up for us in addition to family and friends and GPs etc. It's amazing.

And don't worry. I will keep updating as I go. Still trying to get into my family doctor to get the referral as she has been on vacation, but she is pretty quick so shouldn't be long after she gets back that I can start the process.

Lauren010110
on 10/25/18 9:10 am - Victorville, CA

I wish I could answer your questions on requirements but unfortunately, I cannot.

I DID, however, want to congratulate you on your beginning steps toward health and wellness. Let this flame ignite your fire through this amazing journey. It will truly be an amazing experience. I encourage you to continue to ask questions and allow others to support you. Best of luck!

Most Active