Lightheadedness??

Kaylar
on 10/6/18 12:52 pm - Toronto, On

Hi everyone!

Today is my one-year surgiversary, and I'm very excited with all the progress I've made in the last year. I've been keeping up with my meds and my vitamins, and overall I'm doing well.

There is one thing I'm concerned about though, and that is that I've been having dizzy spells, usually when standing from sitting or laying down, with some slight "seeing stars," or the edges of my vision might kind of cloud over this yellow-ish red color as if my eyes were closed.

At first I only noticed having them after not having eaten for a while (say if I slept in too late or had a long nap), but they've also been happening at random times regardless of when I've eaten last.

Just a few minutes ago I had the worst one yet.

I had been sitting on my bed doing something on my phone, and when I got up I knew a spell was coming right away, but this time the yellow-red cloudiness covered more than 3/4 of my vision instead of just the edges, and when I went to sit back down on the bed I had to fully lay down because I couldn't keep myself upright.

I don't think I fully blacked out, as I was conscious of it all happening even if I wasn't processing things well, but I'm really concerned because I just finished lunch about 2 hours ago, so it seems to be one of the "random" ones rather than the "too long without eating" ones.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you see anyone for it, and what did they say? I've never had any problems with my blood pressure, but can problems start after surgery?

I already have an appointment booked with my doctor on the 15th, but I'm wondering if this is something I should see someone for ASAP.

Thanks, I hope you're all doing well!

Kayla

Dee321ca
on 10/8/18 3:46 am

How has your iron been lately? I would say if it feels abnormal, I would see your GP before your appointment. They could do some bloodwork to see if there are any red flags. Not a bad idea to keep them involved anyway. Hope you're feeling better soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Referral - June 2017, Ultrasound & ECG - October 2, 2017 Orientation - October 30, 2017, Sleep Study - December 21, 2017, Pre-Nutrition Class - December 29, 2017, Nurse's Appt - January 24, 2018, Gastroscopy - March 1, 2018, Social Worker & Internist - March 29, 2018, Dietitian - May 9, 2018. Signed Consent - August 7, 2018. Surgery Date: October 3rd!

SweetRide1
on 10/8/18 4:40 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I experience this as well.

Have you been to see your Doctor about it? Do you take blood pressure meds? If so they may need to be adjusted.

It can be numerous things as Denise just mentioned. Low iron, dehydration, low blood pressure, heart issues.

I went to see my GP about it. We did heart stuff just to be sure and I am good. We did blood, it's all good. I have low blood pressure as a matter of course. When I stand, it drops even more. If I combine getting up too quickly, with not getting enough fluids then I'm into the dizziness.

So, you need to see your GP to rule out some stuff. It's been better for me now as I make absolutely sure I am getting all my fluids and I am careful not to get up too quickly.

Go see your GP. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

mandysgoingforit
on 10/10/18 11:44 am

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension - your blood pressure drops when you go from sitting or lying to standing. Could be a variety of causes, like the others said. You're doing the right thing by seeing your doctor. Could be you need meds adjusted, some bloodwork level is off, or just your body readjusting to the weight loss and will correct itself in time. But if it gets progressively worse I would see a doctor as soon as you can.

Most Active